Housing for adult arboreals 6-9"?

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Hi all,

I am trying to sort out adult enclosures while my arboreals are still slings. I have an Omothymus violaceopes and a Phormingochilus sp Rufus. O violaceopes get about 9" and P sp Rufus get about 7". Any recommendations on decent sized clear containers for a large arboreal? I have been looking at exo terras, as well as cereal and rice containers but they all seem too small or are side opening as opposed to top opening. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Exo Terra has top-opening only models, but I've only seen them for sale online. I infinitely prefer glass with the side opening myself, but have seen the same tanks with four solid glass walls.
The only thing about them I'm apprehensive about (aside from being restricted to too-access only), is the airflow, especially in conjunction with the aftermarket acrylic lids. Almost seems, to me anyways, like it'd be better to keep the mesh top, than further limit circulation.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Exo Terra has top-opening only models, but I've only seen them for sale online. I infinitely prefer glass with the side opening myself, but have seen the same tanks with four solid glass walls.
The only thing about them I'm apprehensive about (aside from being restricted to too-access only), is the airflow, especially in conjunction with the aftermarket acrylic lids. Almost seems, to me anyways, like it'd be better to keep the mesh top, than further limit circulation.
The only reason I want top opening is because I want to give my O violaceopes some substrate depth in case they want to burrow, I've also heard they tend to dart around the sides of the enclosure when caught in the open. I suppose it doesn't matter too much whether it is side opening or top opening, I'll set up plenty of hiding and webbing material either way. I plan on getting something around 12x12x18" or something of similar size, would this be appropriate for a full grown O vio or should I go taller?

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
The only reason I want top opening is because I want to give my O violaceopes some substrate depth in case they want to burrow, I've also heard they tend to dart around the sides of the enclosure when caught in the open. I suppose it doesn't matter too much whether it is side opening or top opening, I'll set up plenty of hiding and webbing material either way. I plan on getting something around 12x12x18" or something of similar size, would this be appropriate for a full grown O vio or should I go taller?
It'd be bare minimum in my opinion, but that seems to be the most commonly used tank size for large arboreals, here. I bought a few 24"x18"x36"-ers in advance for some of my young Poecilotheria, but to be honest, I can see having some enclosures custom made to my specifications, as there's pros & cons to these larger ones. As such, I can ALSO see why all of these acrylic offerings specifically for Ts are coming on to market, but...I like glass. A few custom one-offs would be worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned. I'm always for giving these things more space than technically necessary as adults. They seem to be more on display, as well. My opinion.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
It'd be bare minimum in my opinion, but that seems to be the most commonly used tank size for large arboreals, here. I bought a few 24"x18"x36"-ers in advance for some of my young Poecilotheria, but to be honest, I can see having some enclosures custom made to my specifications, as there's pros & cons to these larger ones. As such, I can ALSO see why all of these acrylic offerings specifically for Ts are coming on to market, but...I like glass. A few custom one-offs would be worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned. I'm always for giving these things more space than technically necessary as adults. They seem to be more on display, as well. My opinion.
That is very helpful, thank you. I will keep looking and maybe use 12x12x18" for my Phormingochilus sp, maxes out at 7". May have to find a place that does custom glasswork though, I do not trust myself to try putting holes in glass. IMO I prefer glass as well for various reasons but plastic tends to be cheaper and more readily modified. Glass would be classy for my full grown T's...not quite there yet but hey prep is the key.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
That is very helpful, thank you. I will keep looking and maybe use 12x12x18" for my Phormingochilus sp, maxes out at 7". May have to find a place that does custom glasswork though, I do not trust myself to try putting holes in glass. IMO I prefer glass as well for various reasons but plastic tends to be cheaper and more readily modified. Glass would be classy for my full grown T's...not quite there yet but hey prep is the key.
Yeah, man....I wouldn't go building my own glass enclosures either, LoL. Check the phone book for glass shops, though (custom window/cabinet makers, etc)...kinda pitched it to one near me, & he sounded super interested, but wanted me to get back to him with specs before he'd say for sure whether he'd do it, or not. The better the wares some of these acrylic outfits have on offer, the more I want to upstage them with custom glass numbers, LoL. Glass is definitely worth the investment, in my opinion. My Grandfather always liked to justify such expenditures with the saying "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a good deal is long forgotten." Stands to reason...

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Just as an FYI, Phormingochilus sp rufus is a smaller species (5"± DLS or so for a mature female). You can probably get away with an 8" x 8" x 12", sloping the substrate towards the back.

For O. violaceopes, the bigger the better IMO. I plan to use a Sterilite 1934 (which is about 13.5 gallons IIRC), but they're not display enclosures, being slightly opaque. A 12" x 12" x 18" could possibly work, but you have to remember the extra space isn't just for the spider, it's also for the keeper. The more space in the enclosure means there's more space to work around the specimen without spooking them and more space in the enclosure for them to bolt if they do get spooked.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Size could work there for O vio. The males I owned burrowed, and were speedy, certainly a leggy species. Doesn’t take much for one to walk out.

If you don’t care about material you could go with plastic tubs.

GarField000

Arachnosquire
I have 12 arboreal spiders. Every year I have someone make me terra custom made. 2 or 3 arboreal and 8 normal. But after a few years he can't do it anymore.
I have 8 custom made now for arboreal. Only downside for me is they only have front door opening. Poecilotheria tend to run around the enclosure when spooked.
For the last 4 i'll get the exo terra as they have top and front opening and you can choose. I'll put the smaller ones in there (Avicularia etc).
The custom made have a highter front for substrate, but if you put it in an angle it will be ok.

And to be honest .... moest Poecilotheria I have i never see. They are only in their corbarkhide ......
Only my P.regalis is always out. It didn't even made a home INside the corkbark but behind it :).
But they do get out as the windows are dirty :D

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I have used sone 12x12x12 for my larger arboreals that has worked well

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
And to be honest .... moest Poecilotheria I have i never see. They are only in their corbarkhide ......
Only my P.regalis is always out. It didn't even made a home INside the corkbark but behind it :).
But they do get out as the windows are dirty :D
That's crazy to read, because all of mine, save the rufilata sling that likes to burrow, are some of the showiest creatures! The only time I DON'T see them is if there's a lot of activity in the house, & they just quietly go back to their hides. I've even got a female Metallica that is out & visible MOST of the time, LoL. It's nuts how different people can have such vastly different experiences, LoL

That's awesome you had your terras custom made, that seems to be the way to go. Too bad he retired. How'd you find him to begin with?

Tbone192

Arachnoknight

I may have found a good alternative, that is if I can't find reasonable local custom glass work. This is 17x18x20" which hopefully should allow for some substrate depth as well as some extra space for me and my T. There are other sizes as well. It is essentially a plastic pet food bin, not sure if link is working or not. Only thing that concerns me is the wheels, if they don't lock I might remove them. I will add a feeding/watering port to reduce chance of escape. I have seen spider "teleportation" firsthand, lightning quick. Definitely require a good deal of focus and respect, that goes for any T I suppose.

Last edited:

GarField000

Arachnosquire
That's crazy to read, because all of mine, save the rufilata sling that likes to burrow, are some of the showiest creatures! The only time I DON'T see them is if there's a lot of activity in the house, & they just quietly go back to their hides. I've even got a female Metallica that is out & visible MOST of the time, LoL. It's nuts how different people can have such vastly different experiences, LoL

That's awesome you had your terras custom made, that seems to be the way to go. Too bad he retired. How'd you find him to begin with?
I was looking for custom made when a friend / breeder told me about him.
They look amazing, great quality (much better than exo terra), but locks to hold the door.
He can't do it anymore because off illness .....

I am looking again at custom made but in glass I can't find them .. meanwhile I use exo-terra. I just replaced 26 tops :D lol. (well, 22 .. still need to do 4).

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I was looking for custom made when a friend / breeder told me about him.
They look amazing, great quality (much better than exo terra), but locks to hold the door.
He can't do it anymore because off illness .....

I am looking again at custom made but in glass I can't find them .. meanwhile I use exo-terra. I just replaced 26 tops :D lol. (well, 22 .. still need to do 4).
Depending on the limits of your household partners, if doing this many a small room for a shop to make enclosures might be on the table :singing:

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
PXL_20231210_165540114.jpg PXL_20231210_165522209.jpg
Got a couple enclosures for my Bday, here is one I've set up for my ~3.5-4" P rufilata. Does this look okay? I may try adding some foliage around the bark to give it a more natural appearance. my concern is whether this 8x8x12 is a good size or too big?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Exoterra Mini Talls 12x 12x18s (30x30x45cm) for all my p[okies, bigger arboreals

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 462646 View attachment 462647
Got a couple enclosures for my Bday, here is one I've set up for my ~3.5-4" P rufilata. Does this look okay? I may try adding some foliage around the bark to give it a more natural appearance. my concern is whether this 8x8x12 is a good size or too big?
I'm only echoing other people's responses and can't speak from experience yet, but definitely not too big. I've seen plenty of mention that Pokies (and avics and psalmos) are great hunters and can hold their own in larger tanks if you want to space your rehouses out.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'm only echoing other people's responses and can't speak from experience yet, but definitely not too big. I've seen plenty of mention that Pokies (and avics and psalmos) are great hunters and can hold their own in larger tanks if you want to space your rehouses out.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂
Agreed, Pokies get big, I prefer them to have room