1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Housing for 2-3cm Euathlus Sp. Red slings?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Cassandra Green, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Cassandra Green

Cassandra Green Arachnopeon

UK
    Advertisement
    Hi all,

I've just managed to get my hands on 2 Euathlus Sp. Red slings. I'm over the moon! I haven't kept Ts before, I've kept scorpions, I heard they're a great beginner species - however, they're 2-3cm, so still quite small. I've been doing tons of reading but I know it's sometimes better to just get other people's opinions!

How should I house them at that size & what's your favourite substrate for this species?

Thank you,
    Cx

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cassandra Green

UK
    Oh & feeding, of course! What/how, would people recommend? Currently buy crickets for the scorpions but I feel they're going to much too large for these wee guys.

3. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

Use a small condiment cup. You can use a thumb tack to put holes in it. Mine was in one of these for a good year or so. Feeders can be cricket legs, cricket parts, cut up mealworm.

Congrats on finding some! This is such a great species to keep.

Here's my little sling.

1020171958b.jpg

Here's my MF.

1213171354f.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Cassandra Green

UK
    Thank you so much. They're lovely! How adorable. I can't wait to get them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Were those from Portsmouth Tarantulas by any chance? They had 2 listed as Homoeomma sp. "Fire" and I considered ordering both (I already have one so I'm good lol).

I use these little wham boxes, they're about 4" in diameter and allow enough substrate for burrowing. I use a mix of topsoil, sedge peat and fine vermiculite.

DSC00001.JPG

I use either small mealworms or red runner roach nymphs, I breed both so I have a constant supply of feeders for small slings.

You can cut up larger crickets into manageable portions or just pull the legs off and feed them those, if you get really stuck for feeders then PM me and I'll send some of either if you cover postage as I'm only in Wiltshire

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cassandra Green

UK
    It was Portsmouth Tarantulas! Haha! Thank you so much for your advice. I may be in touch about the feeders - thank you! That's really awesome! I'm in Southampton, so I'm meeting the Portsmouth T guy at work to pick up the slings rather than post :)

7. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Everything has already been covered, so I will simply say you made a very excellent decision. There is no other tarantula quite like the E. Sp. red, well except the E. Sp. yellow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cassandra Green

UK
    Thank you. As a newbie T owner, I'm a little nervous! But very excited :)