Housing different roaches together

ScaryGhosts

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I currently have a Madagascar cockroach and am looking to get a Macropanesthia rhinoceros. Can they be friends, or should they be housed separately? I’ve heard about issues with housing different breeding roaches together in regards to birth rate, but I am concerned about their well-being. Thank you!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd house those separately purely because of the rarity and difficulty keeping Macropanesthia. They have fairly specific requirements and you wouldn't want them accidently disturbed while molting or something by the hissers. You can house different roach species together if they'd fill different niches in the tank (some burrow, some stay on the surface, etc.), but I wouldn't recommend it with these two species.

I think Archimandrita tesselata and little Kenyan roaches have been kept together very successfully, just as an example.

ScaryGhosts

Arachnopeon
I'd house those separately purely because of the rarity and difficulty keeping Macropanesthia. They have fairly specific requirements and you wouldn't want them accidently disturbed while molting or something by the hissers. You can house different roach species together if they'd fill different niches in the tank (some burrow, some stay on the surface, etc.), but I wouldn't recommend it with these two species.

I think Archimandrita tesselata and little Kenyan roaches have been kept together very successfully, just as an example.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t even thought about molting since my Madagascar was already mature when I received him. Good point. If i decide to get a Macropanesthia while my Hisser is still alive, i won’t keep them together, haha.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t even thought about molting since my Madagascar was already mature when I received him. Good point. If i decide to get a Macropanesthia while my Hisser is still alive, i won’t keep them together, haha.
They have different requirements. Keep the species separate. Rhino roaches aren't so social anyways.