1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House spider bite?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Lenita, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Lenita

Lenita Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    Hellooooo. I love my T,s (safe in their enclosures) but I woke up this morning with a huge bite on my leg, then this little dude wandered out my duvet, definitely a male house spider. C8677131-AF66-44F5-BC3C-31BDC24ED951.jpeg D8411686-D80D-438C-86DB-78D72580CB3B.jpeg Any coincidence? Didn’t think house spiders would be able to bite through my elephant thigh skin!

No fleas in the house and too cold here (UK) for mozzies.

Any thoughts?

2. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Localized edema. Keep an eye on if it turns red, hot, painful or keeps expanding. Any other symptoms such as nausea, light headed, blurred vision, trouble breathing?
    Oh yes, get a little bit better picture? We can't really work with that. Sort of looks Agelenid, harmless, but...?

BTW, edema isn't caused by venom, it's your immune system getting angry about something or restricted circulation and by itself doesn't mean anything. Typical example of edema is swollen feet and ankles common in people with poor circulation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoangel Old Timer

Auch!!!! That didnt look nice!

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I'd assume it's coincidental. Spacing of the two raised areas is way too wide for a bite from most any true spider and you wouldn't be able to see the bite mark anyway.

5. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    Looks like what happens when I grab stinging nettle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenita

Lenita Arachnopeon

Uk
    I think it’s two separate bite attempts. There is a pinprick in the Centre of each one. Can’t look any closer as it’s on the back of my thigh! The swelling is my body’s usual response to flea & mosquito bites, so I’m guessing even a tiny spider bite would be the same. It wasn’t as itchy as flea or mosquito.

I just didn’t think house spiders bit humans!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

It's the immune system acting weird. I used to never get edema or itching then after getting hammered several hundred times by mosquitoes in the tropics it's instant swelling and mega itch now.

Maybe it's just teething? Seriously, just about any critter will try to take a nibble. It's an automatic fright/flight/fight response. Just needs the MMO - means, method and opportunity.

Perfect example. OP, search engine -> urticaria

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

A spider bite is pretty rare; they typically just bite once as a defense of last resort. When you see two bites, it's more likely that a biting insect is involved.

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1