House lizards

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know if the house lizards that are usually found outside your house in Texas... Are they poisonous? I don't like the way they look it's so creepy their colors and patterns freak me out. I have had this phobia from childhood.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
There is more than one lizard native to Texas, Can you post picks?
I think the only poisonous one in America is the Gila monster. but not positive on that.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You might get some more answers to this in the "Not so Spineless Wonders" section. Gila monsters are the only venomous lizards in the US (though I believe the beaded lizard is right on the border in Mexico), but I'm not sure about any poisonous species.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Actually, there are more species of lizard found with trace amounts of venom (monitor lizards like the Komodo dragon). It is even found that something as common as bearded dragons have venom glands that they may use.
May I remind you that saying "house lizards" is very general, even for someone (like me) who has a fair amount of experience with various lizard species. Do these lizards climb smooth surfaces? Do they have seemingly large eyes for their head? Do they look spiny, bumpy, or shiny? There are plenty of lizards in the south that could give a typical person the creeps.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are indeed quite a few species you could be encountering. Do you have a photo? That could help.
Hemidactylus turcicus is a gecko that is widely distributed in Texas, and is often called a house gecko, but even that common name is applied to other species. The common green anole, Anolis carolinensis, is also common in Texas around houses. Neither is considered dangerous, but there are many other species you could be seeing.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not poisonous, you can eat as many as you like. Venomous would be the appropriate terminology.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
@crawley07 Forgive me for sounding a little impatient, but we need some kind of reference that we might be able to help you in your situation.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, there are more species of lizard found with trace amounts of venom (monitor lizards like the Komodo dragon). It is even found that something as common as bearded dragons have venom glands that they may use.
May I remind you that saying "house lizards" is very general, even for someone (like me) who has a fair amount of experience with various lizard species. Do these lizards climb smooth surfaces? Do they have seemingly large eyes for their head? Do they look spiny, bumpy, or shiny? There are plenty of lizards in the south that could give a typical person the creeps.
Learned something new today! Thanks for the extra info.

crawley07

Arachnopeon
There basically nasty yellow color with blackish brownish dots like. I haven't seen one lately

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
It could be a Collared Lizard. If you don't know what I mean, look it up but if not, then look up the lizards of Texas, and send a pic of the closest looking one. Collared lizards are not dangerous to humans, but can be quite aggressive if you ever have the thought of holding one.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It could be a Collared Lizard. If you don't know what I mean, look it up but if not, then look up the lizards of Texas, and send a pic of the closest looking one. Collared lizards are not dangerous to humans, but can be quite aggressive if you ever have the thought of holding one.
Or any American lizard lol! I remember getting attacked by those anoles for entering their territory whilst mantid hunting.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but this should go in the "Not so spineless wonders" sub-forum.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
@REEFSPIDER Actually, you can go to the US National Zoo as well as a few others that breed Komodos, but that wasn't my point. @crawley07 brought up are there any poisonous (prob. meant venomous) lizards in the US, which in some lizards there are "chewing" venom glands on their lower jaw (seen in varanids, legless lizards, and some agamids). Most of these venom glands are very weak and pose little danger to most people (unless if you are on their menu), which various species of lizard can be seen where these supposed venom glands would have been at some point down the evolutionary line, like their cousins the rear-fanged snakes.