Hottentotta or Parabuthus?

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Getting into a new genus and I'm so torn between the two.. I'm leaning more towards Parabuthis Bc of size and their beautiful tails..
What are some pros and cons between the two?
Thanks in advance. :)

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well, one sting can kill you and the other will most likely just hurt a lot.

I really like the look of some Hottentotta species like jayakari and franzwerneri. They need really warm temps though, which can be a con.

Parabuthus are less colorful in my opinion. They do have impressive sizes and eat really well.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Well, one sting can kill you and the other will most likely just hurt a lot.

I really like the look of some Hottentotta species like jayakari and franzwerneri. They need really warm temps though, which can be a con.

Parabuthus are less colorful in my opinion. They do have impressive sizes and eat really well.
From what I've seen hottenttota is hyper Aggresive while parabuthis apears more laid back. Price will also affect my overal decision as well.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
They are both equally as aggressive. Hottentotta has more attitude surely but parabuthus generate much better feeding responses.

There are some very colorful parabuthus. Far more colorful than hottentotta in mu opinion

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Good decision! I have three different Parabuthus species, and none disappoints. I keep them at room temp, 70-78 F. depending on time of year (usually 78). All are great eaters, and pretty bold, so do be careful (long tongs ALWAYS). My P. schlechteri has actually taken prey out of the tongs on several occasions. Every one of my specimens is out most of the time, only being reclusive during the molt cycle.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Good decision indeed! When I kept scorpions, the parabuthus were always some of my favorites!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Good decision! I have three different Parabuthus species, and none disappoints. I keep them at room temp, 70-78 F. depending on time of year (usually 78). All are great eaters, and pretty bold, so do be careful (long tongs ALWAYS). My P. schlechteri has actually taken prey out of the tongs on several occasions. Every one of my specimens is out most of the time, only being reclusive during the molt cycle.
I'd reccomend raising those temps . They would do much better

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I'd reccomend raising those temps . They would do much better
I KNEW someone would chime in with such a remark. However, don’t take that as a disagreement, given certain conditions I would tend to agree. My set ups are in a room that gets direct sun for about one hour in the morning, and indirect for most of the day. I have situated their enclosures in such a way as they benefit of the direct sun for its duration. Consequently, I’m sure the temp in their enclosures is higher than the ambient room temp.

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I KNEW someone would chime in with such a remark. However, don’t take that as a disagreement, given certain conditions I would tend to agree. My set ups are in a room that get direct sun for about one hour in the morning, and indirect for most of the day. I have situated their enclosures in such a way as they benefit of the direct sun for its duration. Consequently, I’m sure the temp in their enclosures is higher than the ambient room temp.
Are your parabuthus adults