Hottentotta jayakari salei

ROBTILE

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

I'm really interested in a Hottentotta jayakari salei.
A friend of me has 5 of them, and he told me they are very agressive scorpions. So I really like them because they are agressive...
But I've never seen them in real life, so I want to ask how YOU can describe his behaviour??
can you give me an example about his special agressive behaviour??

btw people who have this specie, please post some pictures if it's possible...
i'm really in love with his specie !!!

Regards ROBTILE

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has your friend all five in the same tank?
I'm asking because this is my favourite scorpion.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As I remember, they should be housed as Androctonus species.

ROBTILE

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nono not in the same tank !!
they are also one of my favorite scorpions.
I think they don't need a male for breeding... but i'm not sure that's true !! :confused:

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard about them, but didn't know that H. jayakari salei was one of them.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
H.Hottetotta is parthenogenic, I don't think the rest of the genus is.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
H.Hottetotta is parthenogenic, I don't think the rest of the genus is.
Sorry but what does parthenogenic mean. Than it can reproduce without the other sex?

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

currently I´m keeping a group of 1,3 H. j. salei in one tank without any problems. The male has mated with at least two of the females recently and often they are sharing one hide altogether. I should add that I only recommend to keep adult specimens in groups. When one scorpion is molting he will be eaten by the others. A friend of mine experienced it once. I´ve never observed the phenomenoin of parthenogenesis in H. j. salei. Me and my frined´s specimens always mated before the females got gravid. I´ve never observed exceptionally agressiveness in this species either. They are behaving more or less like my other Hottentotta spp.

Greetings
Alex

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Alex,

Please can you tell me the temperature, humidity, substrate and other info about this speciemen I have looking the complete internet and there are no information about H.j.salei I have find.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Tom,

during the day local temperatures up to about 32°C, during the nights roomtempature. I´m supplying a little water into one corner of the tank once a week. Substrate is sand which hasn´t to be deep as my specimens don´t really burrow. Reaching adulthood at the age of about 10 - 12 months. Size of the litters is 25 - 35.

Greetings
Alex

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would be very fun to see a pic of the small monsters.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep 2 of them but not together.
I keep them as Alex mentioned but without water disch and I spray some water like once a month.
Temperature 29-33 C during daytime and around 25 C during night time.
Substrate is sand and a piece of beach wood for shelter.
I've never seen them burrow.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the number of pectinal teeth in H. j. salei is around 32 for females and around 36 for males. As far as I know there´s no obvious difference between the two sexes except that the adult males are usually smaller.

Gretings
Alex

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Alex,

I working on a caresheet about Hottentotta jayakari salei please can you tell me if you have any problems if I will use information you gave me ??

Is there anybody who no the common name of the species ??

You can find the caresheet on :

Http://caresheet.invertebrates.nl

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Tom,

no problem, of course you can use the information. I should add that I recommend to seperate the highly gravid females to avoid the loss of the brood.

greetings
Alex

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Nazgul

What do you mean ??

I do not understand what you mean now "I should add that I recommend to seperate the highly gravid females to avoid the loss of the brood."

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I thougth that in sexual difference by hottentotta. you could also look at the pedipalps. The pedipalps of males tend to be a little more bulbous than females.