1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Hottentotta hottentotta

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ryan88, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JoeyS

JoeyS Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Eggs.....? :confused:

2. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Where do you think you came from?? That's what females produce, including humans. Then the male (except in Parthenogenetic species) comes along and fertilizes it. Then here comes Joey.

Which leads to my bigger point:

Which came first? Joey or the egg? :razz:

3. JoeyS

JoeyS Arachnosquire

Well in humans the eggs are microscopic, so when he said he seen egg's i was like huh?...

4. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Ah, I see. I don't know when they go from eggs to fetus' in HH. Any of you Genius' here know? :)

5. RyoKenzaki

RyoKenzaki Arachnoknight

I remember reading an interesting topic on VL last time
    They are discussing about why their hottentotta hottentotta are abandoning their brood (Infertile eggs) and they came out with a theory that the female sensed pheromone from another male that are being kept very near to her enclosure and so she abandon them and wanted to mate with the male instead
    But i'm not saying this theory is right, i will try to look for the topic and post it here :D

*Editted: Nvm, i cant find the topic and think that this is not right because my hottentotta was housed beside a male jacksoni and she pop-ed just fine*

Anw the whole male hottentotta popping have been discussed in this thread before, might shed some light for this debate here
    http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13834

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  6. Raan_Jodus

Raan_Jodus Arachnodemon Old Timer

I'll give that a read. As for pheromones, I'm not sure, I have an H. Judaicus, but I really have no idea of sex or age on it. It has never molted in my care, I've had it for 2 years now, and I didn't think it was full grown when I got it, but oh well.

I was under the impression that I just got a female that isn't quite breedable, which is a bit of a shame but oh well. Once I start blasting with the heat lamp again (its been a hot hot summer here, no way I can have it on in my room), maybe she'll do better. Otherwise, shes kept well.

Wish I had a larger selection of H's around here, they are neat lil scorpions.

7. NevularScorpion

NevularScorpion Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

CA
    this is so funny but makes sense lol

8. william_wang

william_wang Arachnopeon

china
    do you anyone have the pics about the sperm´╝č
    if not ....how to prove they have mated?

9. Esque

Esque Arachnopeon

Sorry to dig out this old post, just wondering is a hide essential for this species (as I see a few of your cup with no hides)?

10. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnobaron Active Member

Canada
    omg... There was a guy on the first page of this thread that literally asked the same thing...
    READ!!!! READ!!! PEOPLE!!! :eek:

11. isara0you

isara0you Arachnopeon

Hi guys! Just wanted to clarify something after 8+ years, has anyone found the answer about the reproduction of this sp? Are the males really "Parthenogentic"?

12. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron

Just read thread carefuly, answer is on page 2, post #29.

13. isara0you

isara0you Arachnopeon

Thanks!