Hottentotta hottentotta tips?

Stugy

Arachnolord
Going to be getting one in a day or two and would like to know how to care for it. I assume this is a desert species. I already know they are all females (though there are some reported but super rare males) and they are parthenogenetic. Should I keep these dry or moist? Bleh xD Everything besides feeding lol. I can handle the feeding :cool:

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Keep them dry and you can keep them on either straight sand or cocofiber/sand mix. I keep all my Hottentotta species on straight sand but others use mix. Keep temps around 85f-90f and lightly mist 1 side of the enclosure 1x every other week. All mine seem to thrive like this. 1 of my franzwerneri just molted to 7i last night
IMG_1212.JPG
Good Luck with yours

Stugy

Arachnolord
Do you think a sand/cocofiber/clay mix will do fine? I stupidly mixed all my sand and clay together as I was expecting to be only obtaining digging species for a while. I've already kind of set up the enclosure with mostly that mix and then pure cocofiber on 1/3 or 1/4 of the enclosure so I can put a small bottle cap for water without too much of a worry of the water spilling on the clay mix and turning everything hard lol. I'll post a pic in a bit.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The enclosure:
Looks good to me as long as you keep it dry.

Keep them dry and you can keep them on either straight sand or cocofiber/sand mix. I keep all my Hottentotta species on straight sand but others use mix. Keep temps around 85f-90f and lightly mist 1 side of the enclosure 1x every other week. All mine seem to thrive like this. 1 of my franzwerneri just molted to 7i last night
View attachment 244527
Good Luck with yours
I keep my franzwerneri and other hottentottas the same way. Accept i use bottlecaps for water dishes and fill them about once every other week

Stugy

Arachnolord
Thanks guys. How large do they tend to be as adults?

Last edited: