Hottentotta franzwerneri care info?

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, do you know how big do they get? i got a pair which i plan to breed in future but they are relatively small. I read some where they can grow to 8cm, is that true?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They can get really large. I would say 8cm at least. THem and Hottentotta gentili can mature at 8i. They do take a good while to grow.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
AH ok, I was wondering why my pair haven't molted yet. How long do they take to get to adult size? I'm pretty new to these species and there's isn't much info specifically about them.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had mine for nearly 1.5 years and only two males are adults. I got 5 at 2i and one is still at 5i and another at 6i. @Scorpionluva may have some more info on these. He has had some good luck with them.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I have had mine for nearly 1.5 years and only two males are adults. I got 5 at 2i and one is still at 5i and another at 6i. @Scorpionluva may have some more info on these. He has had some good luck with them.
Wow, hopefully my 2i and 3i last that long. They are a wonderful species and I love how much they are out in the open.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Wow, hopefully my 2i and 3i last that long. They are a wonderful species and I love how much they are out in the open.
That's the one thing i love about this species, they majority of the time stay out in the open. I sometimes get paranoid that they die since they eat only once a month or every 2 months, I even give small prey items and that seems enough for them in the long run which is weird since my Heterometrus spinifer and petersii eat once or twice a month.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
That's the one thing i love about this species, they majority of the time stay out in the open. I sometimes get paranoid that they die since they eat only once a month or every 2 months, I even give small prey items and that seems enough for them in the long run which is weird since my Heterometrus spinifer and petersii eat once or twice a month.
You may need to increase their heat if they only eat once a month or every 2 months. H franzwerneri are usually pretty good eaters and I've never seen any go that long without eating. Once adult - they need pretty high heat to birth also... 100+° F

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
You may need to increase their heat if they only eat once a month or every 2 months. H franzwerneri are usually pretty good eaters and I've never seen any go that long without eating. Once adult - they need pretty high heat to birth also... 100+° F
I did use a ceramic heater on them 3 months ago but i guess cause its winter, they've slowed down. I just took off the ceramic heater this week since i was moving this but I'll put it back on in a few days, but even then they were only eating every month or 2. What's the max temperature level would you give? i feared 100 degrees would had been too much for them.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I did use a ceramic heater on them 3 months ago but i guess cause its winter, they've slowed down. I just took off the ceramic heater this week since i was moving this but I'll put it back on in a few days, but even then they were only eating every month or 2. What's the max temperature level would you give? i feared 100 degrees would had been too much for them.
What instar are your franz ?? 100 degrees would be only for Gravid females and only on 1 side of their tank. They must have a temperature gradient so they can cool down when they get too hot.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
What instar are your franz ?? 100 degrees would be only for Gravid females and only on 1 side of their tank. They must have a temperature gradient so they can cool down when they get too hot.
What would you say is good for 3i? I'm keeping mine at 84-88F and they aren't big eaters. All the others in the box eat semi-regular. The franzwerneri are the front two squared compartments.
20170912_104032.jpg

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
What would you say is good for 3i? I'm keeping mine at 84-88F and they aren't big eaters. All the others in the box eat semi-regular. The franzwerneri are the front two squared compartments.
View attachment 260125
Your temps are the same as what I kept mine at but never had a problem getting mine to eat. They don't always grab their food right away but most times they'll eat it if you leave it in there. Truly 1 of the hardiest scorpion species I've ever kept and oh so beautiful :)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Your temps are the same as what I kept mine at but never had a problem getting mine to eat. They don't always grab their food right away but most times they'll eat it if you leave it in there. Truly 1 of the hardiest scorpion species I've ever kept and oh so beautiful :)
Ok, I might just be eager for the 2i to finally molt and catch up to the other one. I typically offer pinhead crickets or slightly larger once a week. I leave the crickets in overnight, it gives me an excuse to look at them again the next day lol. Thanks for the info!
They really are stunning! I am very happy I got them with my first batch of Buthids. My 3i is also very visible. Always hanging out on top of the small piece of cork.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Not so sure, looks like 4 instar to be honest. I did give a cool side so they can cool down.