'Hot'

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
This is why i dont keep pokies.

I do have a usambara who I treat as if he carrys a deadly virus

I would like to know how bad the bites of those guys are.

I know it supposedly cuases really bad pain and somone reported numbness in the face for a year but I never read a bite report
Holy crap, you must be kidding. Numbness in the face for A YEAR??!! :eek:

One of these days, I'll probably get bored and let my usambara bite me just so I'll know what it feels like.

BTW, that's why I don't own pokies or Androctunuses (Androctoni?) or Scolopendras. Because I KNOW I'll eventually geet stung or bitten or otherwise envonomated.

Anyway, if I ever getbitten by my usambara, I'll let you know what it was like.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Personally, I'd keep pokies over Usambaras (or some of the other mean ones, like H. Minax) over pokies. Pokies are SOMEWHAT calm and don't seem prone to bite as often.

Granted, the bite is a lot worse (Well, more than likely.)

Makes me think I was pretty dumb holding that 6ish inch pokie a while back just because....and an Usambara, also..heh.

I've tried mutliple times to pick up my 4.5 - 5 inch pokie, but once I get close to getting it on something (I'd rather get it out of it's cage before allowing it to crawl on my hand -- they seem calmer.) I have second thoughts and put it back in. You just convinced me to never try again.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Personally, I'd keep pokies over Usambaras (or some of the other mean ones, like H. Minax) over pokies. Pokies are SOMEWHAT calm and don't seem prone to bite as often.

Granted, the bite is a lot worse (Well, more than likely.)

Makes me think I was pretty dumb holding that 6ish inch pokie a while back just because....and an Usambara, also..heh.

I've tried mutliple times to pick up my 4.5 - 5 inch pokie, but once I get close to getting it on something (I'd rather get it out of it's cage before allowing it to crawl on my hand -- they seem calmer.) I have second thoughts and put it back in. You just convinced me to never try again.
I'm still convinced that it's probably pretty easy to handle ANY spider, because they aren't all that smart and they tend to not bite the ground.

Still, when purchasing a venomous animal, I do so under the assumption that I will eventually get bitten or stung. If I'm not willing to get bitten by that animal, I simply don't buy it.

The cats also complicate things a bit. If I forget to close the door to the spider room just one, that could conceivably result in the venomous animal escaping.

So no pokies or scolopendra for me, as long as I have cats.

Well, maybe when the cats are dead, I can truly appreciate the beauty of Poecilotherias.

Or maybe I'll just get another cat. Whatever works, I guess.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some expierments show that usambara venom is similar to black widows , only much milder.

These expierments where uncontrolled so take note of that.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think as long as you respect your pokies or what ever your hot animal is and you are responsible... you don't have anything to worry about....

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

And in the midst of pain: irony.

Quote of the month: Note to self: Poecilitheria regalis do not like the 'carapace grip' method of sexing.

;)

Thanks for the report darrin, clears up some of the suspicions.

-V

on another note: if any of you guys can find 'exothermae vol 1.' tarantula journal there is a large section devoted to Stromatopelmiinae species in the wild, with bite reports documented. It was well worth the read and will garner some more respect for Stromatopelma/Heteroscodra, especialaly when you read about the native whom was bitten on the neck.

If i can find it, ill post it here.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
PLease do Vayu as I'm pipcking up a new S. calceatum today. I know they're considered hot but a personal account of the bite effects is always good reference.

Darrin, Much thanks to you for doing the responsibe thing in documenting your mishap. Very commendable.

Atrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, please post it...since the Het Mac is still loose, and I have an S calceatum sling!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would recommend that you do a careful assessment of where you'd be keeping it, how secure the enclosure may be, is there any likelyhood of someone knocking the enclosure over or opening it perhaps, etc etc.
Keeping a pokie isn't bad, (in my opinion) getting bit by one is. :)
Just keep in mind, they are an advanced keepers sp for the fact that they can be very fast and the potency of their venom. Those 2 factors in conjunction with eachother mean you need to be on your toes. You're the one who should decide if you're ready for one...and be very honest with yourself about it. (as I'm sure you usually are :)) Also remember that if you have any doubts there is more than yourself at risk.

Atrax

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Originally posted by Atrax
I would recommend that you do a careful assessment of where you'd be keeping it, how secure the enclosure may be, is there any likelyhood of someone knocking the enclosure over or opening it perhaps, etc etc.
Keeping a pokie isn't bad, (in my opinion) getting bit by one is. :)
Just keep in mind, they are an advanced keepers sp for the fact that they can be very fast and the potency of their venom. Those 2 factors in conjunction with eachother mean you need to be on your toes. You're the one who should decide if you're ready for one...and be very honest with yourself about it. (as I'm sure you usually are :)) Also remember that if you have any doubts there is more than yourself at risk.

Atrax
thanks for the input Atrax! I decided since i have too many siblings at risk, i will not get one untill i am older and have a house or apartment! See my thread "Final Decision" to read my new choices! Thanks,

James

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so is it safe to say pokies are hot? some people like to say it depends, everyone reacts differently. well, i say hot like jalepenos!

-jeremy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What about Haplopelma bites? I've read bite reports on them, and the the descriptions all seem to be worse than let's say an Avicularia or Brachypelma bite. But I haven't read any alarming reports on them. Although, I'm not sure if I've read bite reports from adult Haplopelmas. I've seen plenty of s'ling bite reports. I've read that they are supposed to be pretty toxic. Anybody have any good knowledge on this?

Jon

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Darrin,
Thank you for your account of that very painful regalis bite. That being said, I have finally decided..I will have NO pokies, EVER..
Peace,
Gillian
(take care)

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard of some bites from H. minax. Lots of bleeding, muscles spasms for months after the initial bite, and really sick. This was the only minax bite I've heard about though, anyone else who's been bitten by an adult minax please comment.

-Jeremy

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. Today is the first day that I feel normally again, after spending much of the last few days sleeping clean through when I could and was not updating the journal, answering email, or getting my fluids. Currently my right hand has minor pain, perhaps as if the whole hand were bruised and suffering from some arthitis. I've got a little pain in my kidneys that I can't quite figure out and my thighs still burn quite a bit from time to time, but otherwise things are basically back to normal. Surprisingly, the finger that was bitten is the one in best shape on my right hand. The systemic nature of this venom is what surprised me most. Who would expect to have problems walking after being bitten on the finger?!?

Poecilitheria keepers and potential Poecilitheria keepers should remember that handling them is not mandatory, but neither is keeping them in the first place if you don't feel comfortable with the idea. I received a bite because I violated my own rules and restricted the motion of my Poecilitheria instead of letting it travel 'hand to hand' as I usually do. The Pokie just got scared, defended itself, and in the process reminded me of the rules I have developed and why. Doesn't mean that someone couldn't get bit following any set of rules either, but in any case, surely it is not the Poecilitheria that is at fault.

For Jeff, I was a bit to excited to refresh my memory as to the color band differences. Usually, I have no need for them, sexing them via a faint diamond shape characteristic of male pedipalps and other factors, and confirming the final diagnoses of the underside as it rests against the plastic side of a deli cup, something I highly recommend to others.

As I recall, troll learned the color band technique from someone who claimed to be able to sex them this way from across the room. Perhaps he'd be a good one to ask. Even though I handled my Pokie a few hours after getting bitten, it was more a matter of getting back on the horse, and I won't be handling my Pokies in a restrictive fashion again in a long, long time if ever. Hand to hand, yes, but carapace grip? No thank you!

Sorry for any inconvenience. : )

Darrin