Hot Scorps?

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I used to keep C. exilicada, and other buthids before, but I'm looking for something new(a hot scorp). I'd like to have something to challenge me, and I'd like to breed later if I couls get enough adults.
Thanks,
Steve

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a dangerous question, but I'm going to go ahead and trust that you know what you're doing. Given that you've chosen to call yourself Poecilotheria, I'll also assume that you've kept Pokie's before, which are probably a lot more dangerous than any scorp simply because they are fast, can climb glass, and are strong enough to open lids. That being said...

I'm very interested in Parabuthus species, specifically P. trans. They have the ability to spray their venom though, so eye goggels are a must. They are potentially fast and usually aggressive. They do hide a lot though, so that might be a down side.

If you want something active I've heard good things about Deathstalkers (L. quinquestriatus). For me personally they're not worth the trouble. I know people here love their quinquestriatus, but in my mind they're not that unique, aside from their venom, which, to be honest, is a little hot for my taste.

If you want to get real crazy, try to find a sexed pair of Apistobuthus pterygocercus. They're very attractive scorps which, to my knowledge, have never been bred in the US (my knowledge is very limited, mind you!). I know that Bill has some for sale (invertepet.com), and so too does Glades Herp Inc (gherp.com).

Another challenging prospect (at least challenging to find) would be almost any of the Tityus sp. Good luck with that, however.

Hope that helps. And if you do take my advice, please be careful.

Peace,
Chris