Hot Scorps

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For all of you who own hot scorps, what measures do you take to keep from being stung?

If you do get stung, is there a place where you can easily get antivenom?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greets-

I keep many Androctonus and Parabuthus and while I've not noted the levels of defensive reactions in these scorps as others have, I tend to take standard pre-cautionary measures such as the use of 7", 10", or 12" soft-tip forceps when performing routine maintenance, blocking off retreat entrances or if the scorp is out, using a clear plastic 16 oz. container placed over the scorpion until I've finished maintenance.
The primary factor is to KNOW where your scorp is at all times and to KNOW how they're likely to react to disturbances within their environment. Like many animals, some scorps become "curious" of substrate borne vibrations, and I've had Androctonus and Parabuthus spp. exit their retreats during maintenance involving disruptions to the substrate. Overall, a bit of goodly common sense and knowledge are the best tools to possess (long forceps are a big help, too!) when keeping "hot" scorpions.

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

Precaution is adviced by Isaac and Luc. I have provided an link to an old thread on AB. To refresh our memories upon the importance of keeping 'hots'

Click

With Tityus in the U.S. your question brings up an new important topic and an reminder to those new to this hobby.

Best Regards,

Sinc. Chad

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only precaution I take with my hot species is I never put my hands into the tank. I keep my A. Australis setup pretty simple. The only thing I would do is remove crickets parts with forceps but I havent had to do that yet since shes a pig and leaves nothing behind.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"Predator" brings up another important aspect when keeping "hots" - keep the set-up simple with limited "hides". The fewer places the scorpion can hide, the easier it will be to locate the scorpion if and when enclosure maintenance is required (very infrequently as "Predator" points out above).
To be sure - since scorpions cannot climb smooth surfaces, the use of long forceps for maintenance (e.g. removal of prey remains) is all that's really necessary to remain safe from potential envenomations.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i keep all of my hot scorps with very simple set so when it comes to cleaning and such they cant sneak up on you and tag ya.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
somtimes i gotta change there substrait out and forceps aint gonna cut it so i gotta get in there, capture the scorps with some forceps and i clean it and job done.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ThatGuy said:
somtimes i gotta change there substrait out and forceps aint gonna cut it so i gotta get in there, capture the scorps with some forceps and i clean it and job done.
When I have to do that I just use some forceps and slowly break away at their burrow until I find them. It can be a little time consuming but its better than a trip to the hospital or worse death. When I find them I just toss a deli cup in there on its side and push them in that direction. They will usually run into it after a few tries then I tip it back up once hes in and set the lid on with the forceps since my cups are shallow. During the whole process my hands never go into the tank except for when I placed the lid on top with the forceps and hold it down so I can grab the cup with the lid on top. I also recommend whenever you have to do anything in the tank make sure no one is in the room and devote 100% of your attention to what your doing. It only takes one screw up.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
agreed...

As for the epipen that has been mentioned many times
I would highly suggest a simple doctors visit. Explain that you are keeping scorpions of medial importance, and, of course, you do not know what your reaction to being stung would be, should you be stung. They'll often write you a perscription on the spot...

best to have it and not need it...

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
agreed...

As for the epipen that has been mentioned many times
I would highly suggest a simple doctors visit. Explain that you are keeping scorpions of medial importance, and, of course, you do not know what your reaction to being stung would be, should you be stung. They'll often write you a perscription on the spot...

best to have it and not need it...
Thats not a bad idea, I was just at the doctors today too! YAY I have Bronchitis! :mad: Wish I would have thought about that then.

Quintus

Arachnopeon
In addition to simple setups, one really simple thing I like to do is choose a substrate that really contrasts with the scorps color.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have often had worries of mentioning to a doctor my hobby and not knowing if there are bylaws against scorpions. Though whats to say they know either? hmm, i guess i'll have to look into it again someday.

I think around home here is a bad idea since I'm sure they have a bylaw against some exotic pets. Alot of people were against this one guy having tigers as pets. Go figure huh?