Hot Scorps

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let me preface this by saying that you are in no way responsible for my actions so if I take your advice and get stung, you are not at fault, I am. I just want to mention that because you don't really know me, so why would you tell me anything other than "Don't get one" in order to protect yourself legally. Just consider this a release form!

I've been putting off getting a hot scorpion because I had always considered the risk to be too high--not to myself, but to the others that I live with. I've been keeping scorps for over 2 years now, and have never really had the urge to get something dangerous. But lately I've been itching to venture into uncharted waters--that is to say, to keep something markedly different than what I currently have. Something that will offer a different kind of challenge, and will therefore yield a different kind of enjoyment. This is not to say that being dangerously venomous per se makes the scorp more interesting, but that I have yet to observe the habits of certain species because of their venom. Anyway, I was in a kitchen store the other day and saw deli style containers called "bains." These bains look like clear, heavy-duty plasic containers that are about as wide, deep and tall as a med. critter keeper, but are about twice as long. The lip of the container sticks out about 1.5 inches so that the lid snaps on securely. It's hard to explain, but the gist is that the containers have about 1.5 inches of top that sticks out with the lid. I could drill holes (4) in the lid-top meeting place and use small locks to secure it. The plasitic is so thick I doubt I could break it if I tried. Of course there would be air holes and whatnot, but what do you think? Sound (reletively) safe?

Sorry about the really long post!
Chris

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you're trying to hard.
In petshops, there are little critter keeper wich are perfect for keeping small hot scorpions like (A. bicolor, Hottentotta sp, Parabuthus sp, Mesobuthus sp...).
They are really cheap (starting at 5$), really safe, durable, exist in numerous sizes, can see well in it, are quite more attractive than deli cup and are made of plastic so if they fall they don't brake into pieces.
Personally, i think the little 5$ really worth it.
Don't forget that scorpions don't need a lot of space.

Xavier

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, just use a critter keeper. If you still dont feel safe with that, just use the mesh tactic (put mesh in between the lip of the keeper, and the top. )

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chris,

I know of your concerns with a hot scorpion and will confirm your initial idea of a special container as being a good alternative to a standard keeping container. As a matter of fact, I keep all of the L. quinquestriatus which were birthed here in hard-lid plastic cups, simply because there is no possible way for them to escape, even if the container were to fall directly into a pointed, hard object from several feet. Given, it is not the most attracting keeping container, but it is the cheapest for me, considering the fact that I'm housing a great number of them, and, of course, I haven't the bother of children attempting to open the containers. Anway, as long as they have adequate ventilation, you shouldn't have to worry too much, whether you go with high humidity scorps or low humidity scorps (Parabuthus, Leiurus or Androctonus?). I may be willing to sell you a VERY rare and quite potent species in the trade, after I have a birthing of them (you know what genus I am speaking of, and perhaps, even another sp. which is non-deadly, but extremely rare).

adios,
edw. :D (*lol* sorry about the long post, but you know how I occasionally am with my writing)

Last edited:

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ed, yeah, I know the first one you are refering to (fingers so crossed it hurts), but (dare I say) what is the second?

Ok, I understand most of your (that is everyone's) points, but keep in mind, I live in a dorm room! I am a senior in college, so even with my biology background, no experience with scorps will help me when it comes to drunk college students! My room tends to attract numerous students on the weekends--not to mention the weekdays--who aren't always in control of their extremities. For that reason, I need to be sure that an encolsure will not open if it is dropped on the ground.

All of this being said, my scorps are in the closet, away from most of the noise and activities. I have yet to have an enclosure topple, however, it's one thing if I have a couple of C. gracilis running around, it's quite another if it's a Buthis occitanus (the scorp I was thinking of adding to my collection).

Thanks for the insight. I mean it,
Chris

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
As far as housing goes, even though it's been said a hundred million times before.. If you are thinking of keeping Parabuthus sp. be aware they can supposedly squirt venom, so the traditional kritter keeper may not be the best option, with the size of the holes at approximately a 45 degree arc from the opposite corner.

Food for thought,

Bill

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, so I've created the container. It's got a snap-shut lid on top of which I have added two locks. This should keep it safe in case it accidently falls off of the shelf. I've punched a bunch of small air holes around the top of the lid. I'm going to let one of my C. gracilis live there for a week. I figure if she can't find a way out, there's no way a P. trans will (knock on wood).

As of now I think I've boiled it down to a choice between P. trans and A. australis. Both of which have always been on my wish list, though I've studied P. trans in more detail. Does anyone have a favorite? I still haven't ruled out A. bicolor either, so if someone wants to voice an opinion on that let me know. Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got no experience with P. trans or A. australis but i have a
P. liosoma and an A.bicolor and personally, the A.bicolor is the coolest scorpion i'v ever seen.

He's always outside at nightime, he's always hungry and sting every thing in his way.
But be carefull, they are extremely fast and i really mean it. I've never seen a scorpion that fast. At the slightest movement near their hidding spot they explode and charge. They are not afraid to attack. But it is so cool to watch them kill their prey, it really worth it.

On the other hand, my P.liosoma he's not that cool. He's always hidding and i'd say he's almost friendly. When i lift the bark where he is, it really dont seem to bother him at all. I can also move things around him and even touch him without any signs of aggression. Maybe it's a good thing but i prefer someone with a killer instinct.

Hope it'll help
xavier

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chris,

I'll make the asumption that you'll be more satisfied with a specimen that will be out at night quite often, but will not be so likely to show itself during daylight hours, considering your visitors that may drop in while quite well intoxicated. I'll say the best species for that task would be P. trans. If you want one that will more often show up in daylight hours, you could be more satisfied with an Androctonus scorpion. To tell you the truth, my Androctonus rarely hide in daytime hours (A. australis or A. bicolor), while my Parabuthus (P. trans and P. leiosoma) scorps almost always stay hidden during the daytime and all are out at night regularly. Leiurus are going to be quite well matched with Parabuthus with nocturnal activity (and very little daylight activity), other than the fact that they are not as frequent to be working on the burrow and have a tendency to wonder aimlessly around with nothing to do but look for food (ie: deathstalking).

adios,
edw. :D