Hot Sauce using Psalmopoeus cambridgei venom on Craig's List

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
WTH? I saw this ad on Craig's list today.
Hot Sauce using Psalmopoeus cambridgei venom on Craig's List. People will do anything to make a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It doesn't contain actual spider venom, Psalmotoxin attacks the same nerve receptors as capsaicin so they've basically made chilli sauce that mimics something that mimics the effects of one of the ingredients in chilli sauce :banghead:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Yeah I think it would take many poor Cambridgei to fill up a bottle so I am glad it is synthetic. In my experience they are pretty laid back t's and am not sure how far you would have to push one to actually extract some venom. I suppose grabbing them might do it. Out of the three I have had, they were super laid back and easy rehouses.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Yeah I think it would take many poor Cambridgei to fill up a bottle so I am glad it is synthetic. In my experience they are pretty laid back t's and am not sure how far you would have to push one to actually extract some venom. I suppose grabbing them might do it. Out of the three I have had, they were super laid back and easy rehouses.
As noted in one of the links, the spider is anesthetized in some manner and the venom glands are stimulated with a gentle electrical pulse causing them to contract and expel venom. This is usually how venom is extracted from spiders in a lab.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Humans are so freaking weird...This seems like going through a whole lot of trouble to do something that could have easily been achieved with just normal super hot peppers. Anyone know what this is on the Scoville Scale???

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
It would be easier just to stick a pcam in your mouth if you were that curious. And for you sensitive people on these boards I didn't really mean that literally.