Hornworms are tragic creatures...

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
This is the 2nd time this has happened.

I fed my Pink Toe a Hornworm.
Hornworms seem to have ZERO situational awareness... That or they are a horrible judge of character...

I put the hornworm down on a stick below my tarantula. and they always seem to climb up, right into the tarantula! They just plop down on the stick, look around, and try to make friends with the scary monster looming over them. On both occasions the worm crawled softly into my Ts jaws. THIS TIME My pink toe didn't even pounce on it. Instead she just gently bit it and walked back into her hide with it.

I feel like all life is valuable in some way, even if its food.
But I can't help but feel sorry for a feeder that walks into its own destruction so easily that the T can calmly wait for it with open arms like it's looking at a self delivering burrito.

I know I put it in there as food but FOR THE LOVE OF GOT THE TARANTULA IS NOT YOUR FRIEND LITTLE HORNWORM!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
They are deathly poisonous in the wild with their diet of tobacco and tomatoe leaves and other Solanaceae, so it makes sense they have no self preservation instinct.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
They are deathly poisonous in the wild with their diet of tobacco and tomatoe leaves and other Solanaceae, so it makes sense they have no self preservation instinct.
Coupled with the fact that they don’t really run into tarantulas in the wild, they have no defense mechanisms to deal with them (other than the poison)

The Seraph

Arachnolord
The worst part is that since very few animals eat them, they are not 'necessary' for any animal. They are literally just treats for reptiles and insects. And it is our fault they are so appealing since we don't feed them their natural diet. It is our fault they are living, defenseless chimichangas.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If it boils down to it, we're really just insect murderers and our weapons are tarantulas.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
The worst part is that since very few animals eat them, they are not 'necessary' for any animal. They are literally just treats for reptiles and insects. And it is our fault they are so appealing since we don't feed them their natural diet. It is our fault they are living, defenseless chimichangas.
Maximum sad achieved...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If you want to provide your T with a bit more ‘exercise’ you can always wait until the work becomes a moth and feed it then

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Much better for mantids then tarantulas. Or just good pets on their own.
It provides the extra stimulation that a lot of arboreals need and I’m curious to see how some of my large terrestrials will react to them

The Seraph

Arachnolord
It provides the extra stimulation that a lot of arboreals need and I’m curious to see how some of my large terrestrials will react to them
Bu-but the I. Diabolica!?
It would be amusing to see say, an OBT, try to attack a moth though.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Feeding hornworms regularly will likely result in a super obese Tarantula. They are huge.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Feeding hornworms regularly will likely result in a super obese Tarantula. They are huge.
Have you ever though they get ‘huge’ because it’s people like you who call them obese and that gets them more self conscious so they eat more? :shifty: