Hornworms and what to do with them

Jororo

Arachnopeon
I've recently bought some hornworms that I thought would be a nice little treat for my critters. So far no one is interested and my scorpion is actually afraid of them. So now I have 4 hornworms and one is already started to pupate. What do I do with these? From what I've gathered they're a bit of a pest. I wouldn't want to release them into the wild anyway. Should I just freeze them and toss the bodies? (Gruesome haha)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
You could always eat them yourself. :hungry:

In all seriousness, I think the moths are really pretty, so if it were me I would probably raise them and then decide if I either wanted to breed or just let them die (the adults don't live long). I'm surprised none of your guys want them--they're supposed to be universally admired lol.

Jororo

Arachnopeon
You could always eat them yourself. :hungry:

In all seriousness, I think the moths are really pretty, so if it were me I would probably raise them and then decide if I either wanted to breed or just let them die (the adults don't live long). I'm surprised none of your guys want them--they're supposed to be universally admired lol.
I have no idea what I'd keep one of those big moths in. I honestly really don't wanna kill them because they were kinda pricey. I'm pretty sure my G. Rosea is just fasting. She hasn't eaten for me in a while. The scorpion usually has no problem eating but she ran right into her hide. When she came back out the work moved and she was gone again.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Well I know that but I mean with what I have on hand now.
First off, I have no idea what you have on hand.

By nectar, I should clarify that I mean sugar water, basically, or better yet honey mixed with water (it will have the amino acids found in nectar that aren't in sugar water). I think you can find cheap net cages. But I can't imagine these care that much as long as they have a bit of space.

Jororo

Arachnopeon
I'm sure I can figure something out. I don't have much of anything on hand (why I'm asking the silly question of what to do with worms) and didn't exactly expect these to end up being something I'm stuck with.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Speaking of hornworms, never feed wild caught ones to your pets even if you're sure they haven't been exposed to pesticides. In the wild hornworms feed on plants like tobacco, tomato, and nightshade which makes them toxic to pets

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
First off, I have no idea what you have on hand.

By nectar, I should clarify that I mean sugar water, basically, or better yet honey mixed with water (it will have the amino acids found in nectar that aren't in sugar water). I think you can find cheap net cages. But I can't imagine these care that much as long as they have a bit of space.
I notice many people using net cages for these — would a well-ventilated 20-gallon terrarium not work at all? Do they damage their wings against the sides? My primary interest is raising them to have more small ones to use as feeders for my many slings.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I notice many people using net cages for these — would a well-ventilated 20-gallon terrarium not work at all? Do they damage their wings against the sides? My primary interest is raising them to have more small ones to use as feeders for my many slings.
I don't know, honestly. I've only ever seen butterflies raised in nets, and I think it's cheaper than proper terraria. But it might be workable. I doubt they would damage their wings.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I don't know, honestly. I've only ever seen butterflies raised in nets, and I think it's cheaper than proper terraria. But it might be workable. I doubt they would damage their wings.
Makes sense, thank you! :) I shall give it a try since I have one on hand.