1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hornets

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by pablo1, Jun 6, 2018.

1. pablo1

pablo1 Arachnopeon

Nepal
    Advertisement
    just had a thought, you can keep bees, but can you keep hornets? Just wanted to know if anyone does

2. Absolutely if you're up for the challenge, though I wouldn't recommend it. Wasps are pretty easy to raise, especially paper wasps

3. It's often very difficult to convince queens to establish a nest in captivity though.

4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    Yes you can. I know of people who keep paper wasps also. It works best if you find a newly started nest with the queen. Offer her materials to build out of, food, water etc. If you search YouTube there’s a couple videos on it.

5. Beedrill

Beedrill Arachnoknight Active Member

Only if you hate everything and everyone! JK XD

Yeah, as said above, there is some info out there about Paper Wasps, but I'm not sure about Hornets specifically. I know the ones around here nest underground in large paper nests, but I also know there are species of hornets that make huge paper nest in trees, barns, and the like. I think the one thing that would limit your ability to keep any of the Hornet species I'm familiar with would be the shear size of their colonies (individuals numbering in the ten thousands). You would almost certainly have to keep them outdoors, and I'm sure the neighbors would not appreciate that... Another issue, even with the smaller colony sized Paper Wasps, is that you will need ton of insect prey as well as sweet, sugary food for adults. They feed their larva pre-chewed insects. I'm sure most feeders would work, but you'd need a lot.

@pablo1 On a side note, have you ever heard of the Giant Japanese Sparrow Hornet (Suzumebachi)? There is a really cool documentary on them on YouTube, and I would highly recommend that any invert lover watch it. They are truly incredible creatures, but you'd never want to encounter one.
    Here is a link.

6. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Speak for yourself :)

7. Nah, a bottle cap of honey and a few dead crickets every now and then is enough for a paper wasp colony. They would eat less than your average bull ant or carpenter ant colony

8. Beedrill

Beedrill Arachnoknight Active Member

Haha! I should have been more specific. You wouldn't want to get stung by one of that particular species since they could kill ya. :dead:

Oh really? How interesting. Ours in the area (Oklahoma, US) are capable of producing these huge paper nests that are covered by anywhere from 40-60 wasps if left undisturbed so I just assumed that they would need plenty of food. Though I'm sure it all depends on species. I might try it some day then!

Just out of curiosity, what do you need to provide them with to build their nest? I would think some sort of wood or leaves would do it, but I've never really researched wasps in the sense of keeping them.

9. Well, the truth about keeping social insects is that they don't usually reach very large colony sizes in captivity. They just don't grow as fast, and since paper wasp colonies only last one season they don't get a chance to get enormous.

Most people have success giving wasps cardboard to build their nests out of. They'll build their nests out of wood too but they're quite picky. They prefer well- worn wood with a very specific dry, splintery texture like you find on old fenceposts (in fact, fenceposts are usually covered with distinctive marks where wasps have chewed wood off of them). Even then they seem to like cardboard just as much if not better.

10. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    their intelligence is impressive.

they learn to patiently sit and wait for syrup or meat on the feeding dish.

11. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1