hoping for some reassurance re my sling

bathsheba

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,
I'm a first time T owner and I have a P pulcher sling that hasn't eaten yet (my b boehmi and cyriopagopus have both eaten). I received it on 9/13 and I have offered small injured crickets to it and he/she hasn't shown any interest. As in, gotten close enough to touch the injured cricket in his/her web and just went, "meh, I reject your offering" and slowly sauntered off. He/she seems to be settling in ok otherwise (webbing at the base of the twig/cork but not webbing up high). In one photo I had wet the substrate and he/she looked like he/she was eating the substrate (drinking, I presume). I apologize for the potato camera but hopefully y'all can maybe comment on her appearance (healthy? skinny? etc) .

Based on responses to other sling threads on here, I think I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. However I have a work trip coming up next weekend and I'll be out of town for 11 days. So I can't help but wonder if there's more I should do. Should I try to find/buy and cut up some super worms? Or wait for let her/him get hungry enough to eat crickets? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I wouldn't be worried about it rejecting food, it's abdomen is a good size. It's likely in premolt so that could be the reason why it's rejecting food.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Cyriopagopus, huh. Impatient, or just little research. A poor choice for a beginner.

Leave the prey in there for 24 hours. If it still doesn't take it, leave it alone till it molts.

Is that glass? Also not a good choice, it doesn't allow for good ventilation.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Looks like a perfectly fine, fat little sling to me. They won't starve any time soon that's for sure.

bathsheba

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't be worried about it rejecting food, it's abdomen is a good size. It's likely in premolt so that could be the reason why it's rejecting food.
Thanks. The thought did occur to me but thought I'd ask around.

Cyriopagopus, huh. Impatient, or just little research. A poor choice for a beginner.

Leave the prey in there for 24 hours. If it still doesn't take it, leave it alone till it molts.

Is that glass? Also not a good choice, it doesn't allow for good ventilation.
Ah, perhaps a bit impatient and optimistic. :embarrassed: I hope I can do right by him/her with enough reading. :bookworm:

I left a cricket in there overnight and it managed to drown itself in the water dish that I had placed higher up in the enclosure. I have since gotten rid of the water dish since the P pulcher didn't seem to be leaving the base of the twig/bark and I'm not certain he/she even knew the water dish was up high. However I can't speak to what he/she does when I'm not looking.

The enclosure *is* glass. I drilled about 15 2-3mm holes in the lid as I do have concerns about providing adequate (cross) ventilation for this species. I chose it because it was the only container I had at home that had more height than width. The other slings are in 16 oz plastic deli containers. I do have tall deli containers but they are 32oz and I felt like that might be too large. If you have suggestions I'm happy to take them.

Looks like a perfectly fine, fat little sling to me. They won't starve any time soon that's for sure.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ah, perhaps a bit impatient and optimistic. :embarrassed: I hope I can do right by him/her with enough reading. :bookworm:

I left a cricket in there overnight and it managed to drown itself in the water dish that I had placed higher up in the enclosure. I have since gotten rid of the water dish since the P pulcher didn't seem to be leaving the base of the twig/bark and I'm not certain he/she even knew the water dish was up high. However I can't speak to what he/she does when I'm not looking.

The enclosure *is* glass. I drilled about 15 2-3mm holes in the lid as I do have concerns about providing adequate (cross) ventilation for this species. I chose it because it was the only container I had at home that had more height than width. The other slings are in 16 oz plastic deli containers. I do have tall deli containers but they are 32oz and I felt like that might be too large. If you have suggestions I'm happy to take them.
Reading about a species doesn't equate to experience. Be very careful when working with them and don't unnecessarily go into it's enclosure.

How large is the T? I'd say if it's of decent size 1.5", go ahead and put it in a 32 oz deli cup. You'd be able to add more ventilation holes and that would be perfect.

bathsheba

Arachnopeon
Reading about a species doesn't equate to experience. Be very careful when working with them and don't unnecessarily go into it's enclosure.

How large is the T? I'd say if it's of decent size 1.5", go ahead and put it in a 32 oz deli cup. You'd be able to add more ventilation holes and that would be perfect.
Very true, experience is invaluable. And no, I don't want to interact with the spider. I have a healthy respect for him/her. I want him/her to live a long, happy, undisturbed life inside the enclosure.

The T is just shy of 1" Maybe if he/she stretched their toes out they'd make it. If you think he/she is better served in the 32oz container despite being on the small side, I trust you and I'll rehouse him/her.

Try Prekilling the prey. Don't risk live in a possible premolt spiders cage.
Certainly. I've been smooshing the cricket so it's still quivering/twitching but not moving around otherwise.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
The enclosure *is* glass. I drilled about 15 2-3mm holes in the lid as I do have concerns about providing adequate (cross) ventilation for this species
I keep arboreal slings in quart size canning jars, but I use screen lids glued to the inside of a canning lid circle. That way the whole top is basically ventilation. However, I use a fine metal mesh that is too fine even for them to get a Fang into it. These have come off of the mayonnaise jar-sized fruit fly colonies they sell at Petco. I just wait until a colony is past its prime and they're going to throw it away and ask if I can have the lid. They always say yes.

Ventilation is terribly important. It's worth doing something different if necessary to make sure your sling is getting enough fresh air.

boina

Lady of the mites
Ventilation is terribly important.
This. If your spider looks iffy in any way add more ventilation. A high glass jar with only top ventilation and a sling sitting at the bottom - that's a recipe for desaster. Your sling may be in premolt or it may be sick from lack of ventilation. You'll find out when it either molts or dies... I wouldn't wait but rehouse in something with much better ventilation as soon as possible.

bathsheba

Arachnopeon
I keep arboreal slings in quart size canning jars, but I use screen lids glued to the inside of a canning lid circle. That way the whole top is basically ventilation. However, I use a fine metal mesh that is too fine even for them to get a Fang into it. These have come off of the mayonnaise jar-sized fruit fly colonies they sell at Petco. I just wait until a colony is past its prime and they're going to throw it away and ask if I can have the lid. They always say yes.

Ventilation is terribly important. It's worth doing something different if necessary to make sure your sling is getting enough fresh air.
That is a cool idea. I have lots of canning jars at my disposal. I'm glad to hear your slings do well in them despite limited (or no?) cross ventilation.

This. If your spider looks iffy in any way add more ventilation. A high glass jar with only top ventilation and a sling sitting at the bottom - that's a recipe for desaster. Your sling may be in premolt or it may be sick from lack of ventilation. You'll find out when it either molts or dies... I wouldn't wait but rehouse in something with much better ventilation as soon as possible.
I made a few improvements. Overnight, the pulcher went to crazy town and webbed from substrate almost to the lid and I felt bad destroying his/her web. But better safe than sorry. And yes, I'm sensitive to the size of the holes relative to the spider as well as the security of the lid. Thanks to all of y'all for your feedback, I'm so happy to have the forums available to me.

Attachments

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
Just make sure there’s a full water dish for your trip and you’ll be fine! Some spiders take a lot longer to get comfortable and start eating, I’ve noticed they’re less hungry for a couple weeks after rehoming them. I’ve read about folks who’s spiders have fasted 8 months and survive. I’d say let it be and once you get home refill it’s water and offer it an injured bit of food. I find injured is good because the T is less intimidated but the residual movement from squirming pre-death helps catch the eye of the T and tap into their hunting instinct