Honduran or Nicaraguan B. Albopilosum

chevy1375

Arachnopeon
I have a B. Albopilosum and just wanted to see if anyone knew whether I have a Honduran or Nicaraguan. I attached a photo. Thanks!

Attachments

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I have a B. Albopilosum and just wanted to see if anyone knew whether I have a Honduran or Nicaraguan. I attached a photo. Thanks!
If It wasn’t specified when you got it, it should be considered Hobby Form and probably shouldn’t be bred with Honduran or Nicaraguan forms, if at all, if you were planning that at some point. Hobby Form can look like either of the true forms without actually being them, so giving you a proper answer can be tricky.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I think we can rule out Nicaraguan, because it just doesn't have that volume of fluffiness. For reference:

Looks like my hobby form specimens.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

cold blood

Staff member
Hobby form:wacky:....lmao...such a ridicolous term now being applied to albos....they are either Honduran or Nicaraguan....period, there is no hobby form....since Nicaraguans arrived, some people have begun [incorrectly] referring to Hondurans as hobby.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The biggest missing factor is the size of this specimen. Nicaraguan form tends to looks similar to a Honduran form when smaller, at around 3''-3.5'' is when it becomes very distinctive between the two. But I would guess Honduran for now until it's a little larger. What size is it?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hobby form:wacky:....lmao...such a ridicolous term now being applied to albos....they are either Honduran or Nicaraguan....period, there is no hobby form....since Nicaraguans arrived, some people have begun [incorrectly] referring to Hondurans as hobby.
No hobby form? With all the hybridization that has occurred between these and vagans, I think the name is warranted. If you look at images of the original WC Honduran albos, you'll find that they look quite different then most of what we see in the hobby today.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I thought there was a point early on where albos were getting bred with other forms and species(like vagans) making pretty much anything with unknown sources untrustworthy. Has that whole thing changed and they were just honduran forms the whole time?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I thought there was a point early on where albos were getting bred with other forms and species(like vagans) making pretty much anything with unknown sources untrustworthy. Has that whole thing changed and they were just honduran forms the whole time?
Are there hybrids out there? Yes (you could say that about a lot of species though, still, we don't go labelling them "true/hobby form") but if there are anywhere near as many as people like to make out there are then I'll eat a Lasiodora moult, albo-gans hybrids are pretty easy to spot anyway, they're even less fluffy than the standard Honduran form and they have red hairs on the abdomen

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Are there hybrids out there? Yes (you could say that about a lot of species though, still, we don't go labelling them "true/hobby form") but if there are anywhere near as many as people like to make out there are then I'll eat a Lasiodora moult, albo-gans hybrids are pretty easy to spot anyway, they're even less fluffy than the standard Honduran form and they have red hairs on the abdomen
True, I'm sure the whole hybrid thing is overblown, but is it actually safe to breed one who's form wasn't specified, knowing the risk being hundreds of possible hybrids going back into the hobby labeled as true Honduran or Nicaraguan forms? Also it's not just vagans in the whole hybrid situation. The Dark Den discussion a while ago showed there's a good amount of people who don't see Honduran X Nicaraguan hybrids in the same light as other hybrids are viewed since both are the same species.
Then again, the OP never said they were planning on breeding so this could be a pointless discussion anyways.

Minty

@londontarantulas
No hobby form? With all the hybridization that has occurred between these and vagans, I think the name is warranted. If you look at images of the original WC Honduran albos, you'll find that they look quite different then most of what we see in the hobby today.
I’m curious, do you know where I could see pictures of the original WC Hondurans?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Link us up. I don't doubt you, but I'd like to see that.

I ask because 20 yrs ago I saw a Curly Hair, large and ultra curly setae, definitely not like mine, a lot like these Nics, except it didn't have white setae that these Nics appear to have in pics.

who don't see Honduran X Nicaraguan hybrids in the same light as other hybrids are viewed since both are the same species
I've seen the same sentiments from T owners. You know what gets me about T owners vs Poison Dart Frog owners, that hobby doesn't really have this issue- they have more respect for the hobby, the animals and keeping distinct bloodlines of the different localities. But over in T world, there is so much talk about hybrids, makes me sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
I've seen the same sentiments from T owners. You know what gets me about T owners vs Poison Dart Frog owners, that hobby doesn't really have this issue- they have more respect for the hobby, the animals and keeping distinct bloodlines of the different localities. But over in T world, there is so much talk about hybrids, makes me sick.
That’s quite sad, and I’d guess it’s a consequence of tarantulas being seen as a “cooler” pet to have.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
This is the exact reason there should not be a "hobby" form at all..too much confusion. With every sac of pure nicaragua b.albo we produce we get closer to cleaning up the gene pool.

cold blood

Staff member
ut is it actually safe to breed one who's form wasn't specified,
there are only 2 forms, and as adults theyre easily distinguished....breed hondurans with hondurans and nics with nics...its not ok to breed hondurans with nicaraguans.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s quite sad, and I’d guess it’s a consequence of tarantulas being seen as a “cooler” pet to have.
Nope, it's the quality of people that own Ts vs those that own PDFs in my opinion.

When I frequent the DB forum, there's none of these constant hybrd threads I've seen there. I can think of one vendor that really put the PDF owners into frenzy for good reason.

cold blood

Staff member
The Dark Den discussion a while ago showed there's a good amount of people who don't see Honduran X Nicaraguan hybrids in the same light as other hybrids are viewed since both are the same species.
a good amount of idiots:shifty:...no one with any knowledge would breed or condone breeding them together....doing so is an outrage and a dis-service to the entire hobby.

There are 6 variants of A. avic....no one should breed them together either....these 2 albos are from completely different places and are each unique.

DD had to be pleaded with by a gang of hobbyists to discourage him from breeding them together becase of his misunderstanding of the ts and misconception of hobby views.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Nope, it's the quality of people that own Ts vs those that own PDFs in my opinion.

When I frequent the DB forum, there's none of these constant hybrd threads I've seen there. I can think of one vendor that really put the PDF owners into frenzy for good reason.
That’s partially what I’m alluding to. From looking at various social media groups and on forums, tarantulas are seen, especially by younger people, to be an “edgy” or “cool” status pet. Poison Dart Frogs, in my experience, don’t have that sort of reputation or interest to the wider public. Hence why the quality of people in this hobby is lower, overall.

That’s not to dismiss the many great people that I’ve witnessed in this hobby, but the status like appeal of owning a tarantula, is partially why you see some people with profile pictures with a big hairy spider on their face.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s partially what I’m alluding to. From looking at various social media groups and on forums, tarantulas are seen, especially by younger people, to be an “edgy” or “cool” status pet. Poison Dart Frogs, in my experience, don’t have that sort of reputation or interest to the wider public. Hence why the quality of people in this hobby is lower, overall.

That’s not to dismiss the many great people that I’ve witnessed in this hobby, but the status like appeal of owning a tarantula, is partially why you see some people with profile pictures with a big hairy spider on their face.
I see what you mean, and the whole status mindset is exactly the caliber of people I'm referring to.