Honduran Curly Hair Terrarium setup

chalon9

Arachnopeon
Awesome, really appreciate the replies! I don’t have a soldering iron or anything to easily make holes, is it worth investing in if I plan to be a long term enthusiast? Also as far as substrate goes, should I pack down really tight or leave it kinda loose?

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Long term... a hot object to poke holes into plastic. You're good ... that's like only a few bucks. If that is an issue, and it can be. Ask you dad/Neighbor to about it... you should be golden. I spend a few more bucks and got a hobby drill for making holes. I already smoke and disliked the added fumes ... but that's all down to your living conditions.

For the substrate.. pack that stuff down tight. Put your back into it... ;) T's are way stronger then you think and they *really* dislike loose substrate. If they want it .. they will loosen it themselves. I didn't intend to feed my GBB by tweezers but she decided it was time.. I was "shocked" on how she pulled on my tweezers... (#male_ego)

Zvyezda

Arachnopeon
I know that I am a little late to the game here, but I just got my first Brachypelma albopilosum sling and am browsing through the forums with posts regarding this species - it is fun to gather ideas from others. Yours looks great by the way!! Thanks for adding some pics!

Anyways... I am currently in a similar boat with my enclosure needs (and don't worry, I do not plan to put my new sling in an adult-sized enclosure... but I am already thinking how to alter this tank for my future T). The adult enclosure I have already on hand has one of those Mesh-top lids. A lot of members here at this site have urged that other alternative lids be used - so that your T doesn't chew his way to freedom or get its hooks caught while climbing. Soo... I just wanted to chime in with some of my thoughts on the matter (should you be interested in a little project too) :

I have removed the mesh from the lid frame (it was simply connected via staples). I went to the local hardware store and saw that they carry some plexiglass-like acrylic sheets and I plan to cut down this sheet to replace the mesh in the lid and attach it with some silicone (while using the same lid frame). Then i will just drill some holes in the plastic with my impact driver.

I hate spending money needlessly, especially if I am able to make what I have work (with some small modifications) - this will save me from buying a whole new enclosure while keeping my T safe from any potential self-destructive behaviors. Who knows, it may help your T too!;)

well, I do not mean to give any unwanted advice, but thought I'd pass along some ideas for your enclosure.

Last edited:

Zvyezda

Arachnopeon
It's Brachypelma albopilosum. ;)
Ugh... I know that too! This is what I get for posting late at night and not rereading before I post. :dead:

Thanks for letting me know!! I'd have been so embarrassed to have kept that up here for a long time!
----------------
Update: edited
(Thanks again! I.O.U. one!!)