Homoeomma sp. Blue Vs. Euathlus Pulcherrimaklassi? Please HELP!!!

TexasLonghorn

Arachnopeon
Can someone tell me the difference in these two species? I want to buy a Euathlus Pulcherrimakassi but I hear that many sell the Homoeomma stating it's a E. Klassi. Is there a price differences? Is one more docile? I'm very new to this so I don't want to buy the wrong one. My local Pet store can get a 3" female(E. Klassi) for $100 is that a fair price? Thanks in advance.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't spend that much; I got my mature female E. pulcherrimaklaasi for $45 from another user on AB. As for the difference of appearance... I haven't ever kept Homoeomma sp. "Blue" so I can't say from personal experience, but from the pictures I have seen of them they appear to be very different in appearance, I'm not sure how they are so easily mixed up. Hopefully someone who has kept both species can weigh in with some better advice.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi, 4,5" female - "Gemma" - please note the red markings on the patella and the blueish femurs, while the rest of the body is somewhat greyish/greenish

Homoeomma sp. "blue", female - "Jewel" (she's about ~5" currently) - in comparison to the aforementioned these have beige markings instead of red on the patella and their legs and carapace are overall steely-blueish

But, as mentioned and discussed before in many other thread, I will not get into the debate about their classification. Fact is, both are -different- species. That's for sure. There are a number of knowledgable people out there that assume the pulcherimaklassi (or "sp. blue / sp. blue femur" as it is called lately) is actually Homoeomma spp. too, while the current Homoeomma sp "blue" is possibly Euathlus spp. - the subject is a mess and the only certainty is that both are distinctly different species.

As for docile: My "blue femur" is skittish, but docile usually. In comparison my Homoeoemma female is skittish and usually somewhat defensive. I might have gotten the oddball again, since Joyce's is quite calm from what I gather. She might chime in on that later.

Anyways, you should see the differences between them nicely from the pics of my girls up there. Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you're interested in some more information on this subject, check this thread => http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...et/page3&highlight=Euathlus+pulcherrimaklaasi

Last edited:

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are a number of knowledgable people out there that assume the pulcherimaklassi (or "sp. blue / sp. blue femur" as it is called lately) is actually Homoeomma spp. too, while the current Homoeomma sp "blue" is possibly Euathlus spp.
On the "pulcherimaklassi / sp. blue / sp. blue femur" from Chile you can find all characters of the genus Euathlus after PERFAN & PEREZ-MILES 2014, especially the lateral spheroid chamber in females and the curved embolus with a extended subtegulum in males.

The "Homoeomma" sp. BLUE from Peru is different to these new genus description of Euathlus in some characters. There are no spheroid chambers or any constrictions at the receptacula, a straight embolus and a short subtegulum. There is also a difference on the tarsal claws.

bye

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
On the "pulcherimaklassi / sp. blue / sp. blue femur" from Chile you can find all characters of the genus Euathlus after PERFAN & PEREZ-MILES 2014, especially the lateral spheroid chamber in females and the curved embolus with a extended subtegulum in males.

The "Homoeomma" sp. BLUE from Peru is different to these new genus description of Euathlus in some characters. There are no spheroid chambers or any constrictions at the receptacula, a straight embolus and a short subtegulum. There is also a difference on the tarsal claws.

bye
Always appreciate your input, esteban. Thank you for the scientific inside look. I made that comment since Stuart Longhorn and I were emailing last year in regards to these species. Do you happen to know if the currently in the hobby Euathlus sp. "red" / "fire" / "yellow" are possibly Homoeomma spp. by chance? That was another subject we talked about.

TexasLonghorn

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't spend that much; I got my mature female E. pulcherrimaklaasi for $45 from another user on AB. As for the difference of appearance... I haven't ever kept Homoeomma sp. "Blue" so I can't say from personal experience, but from the pictures I have seen of them they appear to be very different in appearance, I'm not sure how they are so easily mixed up. Hopefully someone who has kept both species can weigh in with some better advice.
Do you know if that person is still selling them?I sure would like one.

---------- Post added 06-13-2014 at 03:29 PM ----------

Thank all of y'all for your input. I have not bought one yet but now I know what to look for.

---------- Post added 06-13-2014 at 03:30 PM ----------

Will this be evident in a 1 1/2 to 2" specimen?
Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi, 4,5" female - "Gemma" - please note the red markings on the patella and the blueish femurs, while the rest of the body is somewhat greyish/greenish

Homoeomma sp. "blue", female - "Jewel" (she's about ~5" currently) - in comparison to the aforementioned these have beige markings instead of red on the patella and their legs and carapace are overall steely-blueish

But, as mentioned and discussed before in many other thread, I will not get into the debate about their classification. Fact is, both are -different- species. That's for sure. There are a number of knowledgable people out there that assume the pulcherimaklassi (or "sp. blue / sp. blue femur" as it is called lately) is actually Homoeomma spp. too, while the current Homoeomma sp "blue" is possibly Euathlus spp. - the subject is a mess and the only certainty is that both are distinctly different species.

As for docile: My "blue femur" is skittish, but docile usually. In comparison my Homoeoemma female is skittish and usually somewhat defensive. I might have gotten the oddball again, since Joyce's is quite calm from what I gather. She might chime in on that later.

Anyways, you should see the differences between them nicely from the pics of my girls up there. Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you're interested in some more information on this subject, check this thread => http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...et/page3&highlight=Euathlus+pulcherrimaklaasi

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Colorwise both species look brownish as slings.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you happen to know if the currently in the hobby Euathlus sp. "red" / "fire" / "yellow" are possibly Homoeomma spp. by chance?
Hi,

i know only pictures (bulbs and spermatheca) from these species (sp. red/fire/yellow) . But from that, i would say it isnt Euathlus and looks more like Homoeomma.

also I "guess" the "Homoeomma" sp BLUE should not stay forever in this genus.

bye

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,

i know only pictures (bulbs and spermatheca) from these species (sp. red/fire/yellow) . But from that, i would say it isnt Euathlus and looks more like Homoeomma.

also I "guess" the "Homoeomma" sp BLUE should not stay forever in this genus.

bye
Thank you! That's what Stuart mentioned, too. Well, I guess we'll see if these will ever be reclassified. For now, I'll keep them labeled as they are.