Homemade Desert Terrarium DYI

Vincent Sherloy

Arachnopeon
A few days ago, I rehoused my golden huntsman spider (Olios giganteus) to a homemade habitat I created with a few materials.
I had an empty, plastic pretzel jar that held about 1.5 kg of pretzels. I emptied the crumbs, cleaned it out, and used that as my terrarium. To make it natural, I shoveled a good amount of sand and gravel from my backyard and placed it in the jar. I also added a few rocks and twigs for climbing and burrowing.
Before rehousing it, I found out it was a mature female and was already pregnant. Because golden huntsmen try to stay in secure places for their egg sacs, then make silks walls around the dwelling to keep the eggs hidden, I added a small piece of PVC piping I had. I clogged one end with a small rock so as to lessen the work she'd have to do to make herself comfortable.
What you can also do is take a vertical PVC piece, add a 90˚ angle piece (like what I have here) glue it onto the side of the terrarium, and cover the area with sand/gravel until only the entrance isn't submerged. That way, you can see your spider beneath the sand through the jar. I'll add a diagram to clarify.
(and yes, I know my drawing sucks :happy:)

Attachments

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
OP is an aspiring entomologist. :) Are you close to achieving your dream profession?

It is also possible to have some modifications. You'll find that sand is not really conducive to burrowing unless it's really compact as when the spider attempts to take out a chunk out of the substrate in an attempt to burrow, new sand slides right back in. :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Ah! Another using PVC fittings. They work well and cheap.
With a burrowing species, I'd add a bit of topsoil or peat to aid in tunneling and keeping its shape.