1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made acrylic arboreal

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Grizzy, May 30, 2018.

1. Grizzy

Grizzy Arachnopeon

Ohio
    Advertisement
    Made my first terrarium

Dimensions are 10×10×18 (thats in inches) front door and optional top door for cleaning or whatever.

All 1/8" acrylic held together by plast-i-weld

Homemade log/hide made from a dense rubber mat we have at work, hand carved with a saws-all for basic shape, my pocket knife for big grooves and a dremel for the finner ones and finally covered with eco earth and a tiny bit of frog moss (elevated water dish holder was the same process)

This will be housing my a. avicularia in a few days, she molted about a week ago, I wanted to get a meal in her before the rehouse

Overall I'm very happy with the final result since its my first try and I cut all the pieces by scoring and breaking

Hope you all enjoy

Final thoughts, I used a step bit for the ventilation holes which there are quite a bit of, next time I'd definitely use a slightly thicker acrylic and the hinges and knobs came from Amazon. Thanks for checking it out

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Looks awesome, I love the back view!

3. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnosquire Active Member

Poland
    Nicely done! I like the idea, also made enclosure for Avi that reminds hollow in tree trunk.
    But it looks a little bit to clean for my taste;) I would add some moss and sticks:)

4. Grizzy

Grizzy Arachnopeon

Ohio
    Yeah I'm gonna add some better looking foliage ,this is just my first t and first enclosure build so I didn't have much ,I'm definitely going with a different kind of moss, I don't like the frog moss look its way to bright ,almost looks fake,

5. Grizzy

Grizzy Arachnopeon

Ohio
    Thanks man, this is my first t so I really wanted to be able to see it Lol had to have the back view

6. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Care to elaborate a little on this "dense rubber mat"? That looks like it'd be perfect for an enclosure I have in mind for the future.

7. Grizzy

Grizzy Arachnopeon

Ohio
    Its almost like a thick rubber Matt ,its just something we had a work,we use it for cushion when shipping things, but I've heard floral foam works good as well

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. lunixweb

lunixweb Arachnobaron Old Timer

Great idea with two doors, perfect size, just an amazing enclosure..

9. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Looks good! Where’d youbuy the acrylic from? Thats of course where most of the cost (or savings) is.

10. sschind

sschind Arachnoknight Old Timer

Looks like the back is hinged as well.

A tip that you may already be aware of. If you cover the back with black paper your spider may not web up as much inside its hide. When you want to see her just peel back the paper.

I did that with a 10 gallon hex and a P. regalis (blacked out 3 sides of the hex) and she never really webbed much behind her cork slab. I could see her whenever I wanted just by peeling back the paper. I'm not sure if Pokies and Avics have similar webbing styles but it may be worth noting.

I like the tank though, very nice job and yes I would recommend thicker acrylic next time. I've never worked with it for enclosures (lots of lids and dividers though) and I never worked with plastiweld. How was it to work with.