Holiday bummers...

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holiday season had a couple losses here. I had just recently gotten an A. Moderatom sling, a species I've wanted since I first started learning about Ts a couple years ago and saw their picture in the Tarantula Keepers Guide. On Christmas eve, a couple weeks after I got the sling, I found it in a tight curl in its vial. I tried adding a bit more moisture and leaving it in a dark warm place, but it was already gone. :( It was very sad after having just gotten one of these...

New years was even sadder. I was taking care of my Ts on New Years Eve and saw that my little G. Pulchra sling had flipped and was on its back, legs out, apparently deciding to molt. I was a bit concerned since it has NEVER eaten in the time I've had it (I received it Nov, 1st and it molted Nov 6th - was about 1/3 - 1/2 inch legspan post molt), so it was a bit thin, but I figured maybe a molt would help it and it would start eating finally. I made sure not to even touch its vial, or even let the shelf its on be disturbed at all. New Year's day found it still on its back in the same position, except all the legs had curled in to touch its belly. Still hasn't changed or moved, seems pretty much gone, though I refuse to mess with it still, even though I don't see much hope. This is a species I've REALLY wanted for a long time, and one of my most expensive Ts too, so pretty heartbreaking. Especially since it recovered so well after almost dying right after I got it. It had a huge amount of personality too, the only one of my collection that came over to greet me (usually with threat poses, lol) every time I came in the room (all my other Ts, including the 'aggressive' ones (OBT, Haplo sp, H. liv, etc) ignore me, or hide when I come in, but this one always would interact in some way or another. I was really looking forward to having it around for a long time, and with so much personality it was going to be a blast... :( I try to avoid getting too attached to the slings because of the higher mortality rate they seem to have, but this little one was a special fuzz ball.

Anyways, just needed to mope about my losses. I know they are slings and deaths among slings are not uncommon, (these are joining a b. emilia sling and a b. vagans sling among my fatalities), but its still sad to lose them. On the plus side, all my other slings and my couple bigger Ts seem to be doing well. My GBB sling is fat and already looking like it might be darkening for another molt again! :eek: Adds to my suspicion that it may be male, heh. And one of my TINY C. elegans slings molted again. Still tiny, but logically its probably a bit bigger now, lol.

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry about the losses!!!!

Sorry to hear about your slings. I just got two G. pulchra slings myself and they have been number 1 on my list to get for a long time so I know for a fact I would be heart broken if one passed away! I am truly sorry to hear that yours didn't make it :(