Hogna Query

Chuck93Hall

Arachnopeon
I am a fan of Hogna species, and I know I'm not the only one. But I also never seem to see any for sale very often. I'm aware that many are available in our backyards, but are there people interested in purchasing Wolf Spiders? Specifically H. carolinensis? I have a quite a few C.B. slings but not sure if I should put in the effort to rear them all up if no one is interested in them.

Thanks!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Wrong section to post this in but it all depends on the pricing to me.

Chuck93Hall

Arachnopeon
Oh shoot. What section should this be in. Sorry, I'm still new here. lol

Also what would be price that would make it tempting for you?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think CB H. carolinensis would sell fairly well since they're popular. Of course a lot of it depends on how large the slings are, but I'd assume $5-$10 a piece would get them sold fairly quickly.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
seeing that Carolina wolf spiders are my favorite invertebrate and how annoying they are to catch i would definitely pay money for a decent sized one but not slings. and even then i probably wouldn't pay much maybe around five dollars tops

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
seeing that Carolina wolf spiders are my favorite invertebrate and how annoying they are to catch i would definitely pay money for a decent sized one but not slings. and even then i probably wouldn't pay much maybe around five dollars tops
i just find that paying for shipping and handling on top of the base price of the slings is just too much when at pretty much any time of the year i can go out with a flashlight and find juveniles and adults despite it being annoying to do

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i just find that paying for shipping and handling on top of the base price of the slings is just too much when at pretty much any time of the year i can go out with a flashlight and find juveniles and adults despite it being annoying to do
The overall price certainly depends on the invert, and whether it's WC or CB will too. WC are typically going to be cheaper, but they come with the caveat of not knowing how long they're going to live or whether they have some sort of issue. This is why many inverts that get imported don't do all that hot captivity. CB decreases the need for WC individuals and it gives people the chance for healthier, longer-lived inverts.

That's not to say that CB will always work. When some species is abundant and easy to obtain, the drive for WC will always be higher. I'd say that H. carolinensis falls under that in many areas of the southern US. That and if the keeper decides to breed them they would be overrun with slings that would make things even less worthwhile in many cases. I say good for the OP for producing CB individuals.

Shipping is what it is. People aren't going to ship you stuff for free unless you buy a lot. Doubly so with FedEx being as expensive as it is. A priority box through USPS isn't terrible, but it's still an incurred expense for the person shipping (along with having to purchase a box/packing and take the time to run to the post office to stand in line and drop it off).

It all comes down to the buyer. If they know a species can be found in their range but it's a pain to track them down, then they may be willing to spend the money to save time. Keep in mind that one also is paying the seller for their time. If they invest a solid amount of time/resources to getting a spider to grow (whether WC or CB), then they should get more for it. Same with if they're the ones going out and hunting for it themselves. If it takes an hour to find a $2 spider that's not going to be worth it. But in the end, it's up to the market to decide. I've seen adults go as cheaply as $15 before, but that may have been more due to the person getting ready to move and wanting to sell things quickly.