Hobby???

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'd prefer arachnophiliac. (Arachnid lover)
People are dumb, they won't look at you weird, I promise. :troll:
Unless your hobby is collecting dead tarantulas for inappropriate purposes. Arachnonecrophiliacs ARE weird. :D

Put me down as one who finds using the term "collection" more off-putting than "hobby. It's too, I dunno, clinical. But no less accurate than "hobby".

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm another in the pro-hobby camp, largely because of the definition of the word. I also think Keks put it well:

"Hobby" is a great word, because: Hobby is the work in your leisure you make with love and great enthusiasm, always trying to learn more, but without earning money for living from this ^^.
Also, maybe I'm thinking about it too hard, but I think there's a twinge of elitism, or something, in discounting tarantula-keeping as a hobby by putting it above other activities regarded as hobbies. Looking after a living animal is more of a responsibility, but do we put in more devotion and dedication that someone who, say, builds custom RC cars or goes cosplaying at pop culture conventions? Are we more conscientious than someone who keeps a dog in good health (physical and mental) to display it at shows, or feeds an aquarium full of neon tetras? Did everyone who ever bought a gooty ornamental do it solely from an altruistic, self-sacrificing position to maintain the species, or was there as much of a collector mentality as a twitcher or trainspotter searching for that rare sighting, and something pretty to look at?

We're all tarantula-keeping weirdos, whether we own it, or we're seen as such in the eyes of some others (I haven't actually kept a tarantula in years but I still have people ask me if I still keep 'those creepy-crawlies') but cocking a snoot at the word 'hobby', and it's connotations, seems to veer a bit far in the other direction, for my tastes. As if we're trying to convince ourselves we're that extra bit more special than someone else with a preoccupation out of the ordinary.