1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobby???

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by basin79, May 18, 2017.

1. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  2. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I park in a garage. I stay out of this xxxx-way business.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jason B

Jason B Arachnosquire

Us
    Yeah theres a huge difference then taking care of a pet and raising a child. A pet you meet their basics needs, train them to an extent that suits you if possible.

You don't teach your dog to look both ways before crossing a street. Wish you could...
    With Kids you have to teach them a higher form of thinking, how to make good choices, morals, standards, ethics.
    You have to guide a child through much higher level of thinking that even if your pet could comprehend you wouldn't be able to relay the information to them.
    You never have to explain to a pet why it needs to eat it just does, or does not.
    A pet will never ask you the question why, a three year old will ask you this question roughly 200 times per day.

4. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    But then you misinterpret the term, to be honest.

"A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time."

Now, what of that does not apply to the keeping/caring Tarantulas?
    Don't get me wrong here, your POV is your POV, but considering the definition of the term Hobby, I can only come to the conclusion that not the poor term that can't defend itself is to blame. :troll:

I see your point, regarding the level of responsibility and how you feel that the term "hobby" neglects this responsibility somehow. But, that just isn't accurate.
    The term itself is neutral in regards of the severity/responsibility.
    It neither speaks for, nor against it.
    So, I think, branding the term as "wrong", when it isn't by definition, is... well, wrong. :p

Just my POV - not trying to change your mind.

• Like Like x 2
  5. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight

My signature reads as so " I am merely a custodian of tarantulas trying to preserve a brighter future for generations to come" So I'm a custodian in my mind

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Hellblazer

Hellblazer Arachnosquire

PA
    Not to mention losing a child would be the most soul crushing, horrible experience I can think of. Losing an animal you've cared for for years is sad, but not a life destroying event.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron

For a lot of us here it is more of a fetish. For example:

Name your favorite Asian arboreal.
    Name your favorite Guatemalan terrestrial.
    Which is better: Gramma or xxxx

And then there are the members who post pictures of their Ts like other people post pictures of their grandchildren.

Face it: We're obsessed.

8. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I'd prefer arachnophiliac. (Arachnid lover)
    People are dumb, they won't look at you weird, I promise. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. GreyPsyche

GreyPsyche Arachnosquire

It's not a sport or a art, must be a hobby. Idk, I don't mind the term. It's coined to the collecting nature of it I think. Collecting tarantulas is a hobby that I enjoy but they're living beings and taking care of them isn't a hobby but when I refer to the hobby I mean the collecting and the addiction to collection, that's the hobby. The actual caring for them and owning them I wouldn't refer to as a hobby. Just the collecting part.

10. Stormsky

Stormsky Arachnopeon

I think the term "hobby" is acceptable on a definition standpoint, but I do agree it doesn't quite feel like the proper term. I like the term "tarantula keeper" the most.

Oh yeah? Well then what's happening here?o_O http://i.imgur.com/XkT1GYQ.gifv

11. keks

keks Arachnobaron Active Member

"Hobby" is a great word, because: Hobby is the work in your leisure you make with love and great enthusiasm, always trying to learn more, but without earning money for living from this ^^.

12. JoshDM020

JoshDM020 Arachnoknight Active Member

I vote for this being the new term for "hobbyists"

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin Arachnobaron

I somehow despise the word 'collection' idk just doest sound respectful to the Ts to me haha

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

It would be funny as hell though:
    'what are your hobbies?'
    Kids. Kids and spiders
    :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Hobby, for want of a better word. You have these words that become controversial with use, so a different word needs to be found. And on, and on. Over-use of the term 'tarantula enthusiast' will eventually lead to the same problem.

And how would you replace 'hobby' in a sentence like: In recent years, a large number of species became available in the hobby. I mean 'market'? It may not be perfect, but hobby is still be the best word to choose, I think.

I don't know. For me the word 'culturist' brings up the image of someone pruning his bonsai.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin Arachnobaron

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. creepa

creepa Arachnoknight

And what about giving you own life for your child..., its not even a dicision for me its my obligation to my child will it ever come to that.

Giving my life for a random pet..., no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron

the scene

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    How about club?

"The first rule of Arachno-club is, you do speak about Arachno-club!"
    "The second rule of Arachno-club is, you do speak about Arachno-club!"

20. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

I will just type that I'm extremely surprised my little rant has turned into a thread.

And it's been a cracking thread too. Disagreements but no falling out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1