Hobby???

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Exact same thing. Take my 8 year old son for instance. He's been hiding under his bed for the last six months. Saw him for the first time this morning. My how he has grown
Yeah theres a huge difference then taking care of a pet and raising a child. A pet you meet their basics needs, train them to an extent that suits you if possible.

You don't teach your dog to look both ways before crossing a street. Wish you could...
With Kids you have to teach them a higher form of thinking, how to make good choices, morals, standards, ethics.
You have to guide a child through much higher level of thinking that even if your pet could comprehend you wouldn't be able to relay the information to them.
You never have to explain to a pet why it needs to eat it just does, or does not.
A pet will never ask you the question why, a three year old will ask you this question roughly 200 times per day.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Hobby is just a throw away term to link it with a living animal (to me).
But then you misinterpret the term, to be honest.

"A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time."

Now, what of that does not apply to the keeping/caring Tarantulas?
Don't get me wrong here, your POV is your POV, but considering the definition of the term Hobby, I can only come to the conclusion that not the poor term that can't defend itself is to blame. :troll:

I see your point, regarding the level of responsibility and how you feel that the term "hobby" neglects this responsibility somehow. But, that just isn't accurate.
The term itself is neutral in regards of the severity/responsibility.
It neither speaks for, nor against it.
So, I think, branding the term as "wrong", when it isn't by definition, is... well, wrong. :p

Just my POV - not trying to change your mind.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My signature reads as so " I am merely a custodian of tarantulas trying to preserve a brighter future for generations to come" So I'm a custodian in my mind

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Yeah theres a huge difference then taking care of a pet and raising a child. A pet you meet their basics needs, train them to an extent that suits you if possible.

You don't teach your dog to look both ways before crossing a street. Wish you could...
With Kids you have to teach them a higher form of thinking, how to make good choices, morals, standards, ethics.
You have to guide a child through much higher level of thinking that even if your pet could comprehend you wouldn't be able to relay the information to them.
You never have to explain to a pet why it needs to eat it just does, or does not.
A pet will never ask you the question why, a three year old will ask you this question roughly 200 times per day.
Not to mention losing a child would be the most soul crushing, horrible experience I can think of. Losing an animal you've cared for for years is sad, but not a life destroying event.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Is it just me that absolutely hates the term hobby when referring to keeping T's?

There just seems something fundamentally wrong to me with keeping living animals and referring to that as a hobby.

Stamp collecting is a hobby. Train spotting is a hobby. Caring for a living animal isn't. To me.

Well that's it. I've let off a tadicum of steam.
For a lot of us here it is more of a fetish. For example:

Name your favorite Asian arboreal.
Name your favorite Guatemalan terrestrial.
Which is better: Gramma or xxxx

And then there are the members who post pictures of their Ts like other people post pictures of their grandchildren.

Face it: We're obsessed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd prefer arachnophiliac. (Arachnid lover)
People are dumb, they won't look at you weird, I promise. :troll:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
It's not a sport or a art, must be a hobby. Idk, I don't mind the term. It's coined to the collecting nature of it I think. Collecting tarantulas is a hobby that I enjoy but they're living beings and taking care of them isn't a hobby but when I refer to the hobby I mean the collecting and the addiction to collection, that's the hobby. The actual caring for them and owning them I wouldn't refer to as a hobby. Just the collecting part.

keks

Arachnobaron
"Hobby" is a great word, because: Hobby is the work in your leisure you make with love and great enthusiasm, always trying to learn more, but without earning money for living from this ^^.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

It would be funny as hell though:
'what are your hobbies?'
Kids. Kids and spiders
:rofl:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Hobby, for want of a better word. You have these words that become controversial with use, so a different word needs to be found. And on, and on. Over-use of the term 'tarantula enthusiast' will eventually lead to the same problem.

And how would you replace 'hobby' in a sentence like: In recent years, a large number of species became available in the hobby. I mean 'market'? It may not be perfect, but hobby is still be the best word to choose, I think.

Arachno culturist(s) perhaps?
I don't know. For me the word 'culturist' brings up the image of someone pruning his bonsai.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Not to mention losing a child would be the most soul crushing, horrible experience I can think of. Losing an animal you've cared for for years is sad, but not a life destroying event.

And what about giving you own life for your child..., its not even a dicision for me its my obligation to my child will it ever come to that.

Giving my life for a random pet..., no.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I will just type that I'm extremely surprised my little rant has turned into a thread.

And it's been a cracking thread too. Disagreements but no falling out.