1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobby???

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by basin79, May 18, 2017.

1. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    To me, this is absolutely a hobby. I'm not sure what else I'd call it. These aren't pets - pets can show affection towards you and recognize you. Hell, you're not even really supposed to be touching these creatures. That puts them on the same playing ground as fish.

I collect them for my own enjoyment. Different colors, attitudes, lifestyles, and other quirks. In the same way someone collects art, I collect tarantulas. Certainly a hobby to me until someone gives me a better word for it.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

I didn't mean my post to imply you where calling me snobbish.

I DEFINITELY DIDN'T GET THAT IMPRESSION.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking

Aracnofilia, from (Greek) Aracno (spider) and filia (love) IMO works :-s

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  4. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

Right.. I would like a better word though. Lol

5. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Active Member

Why do they sell tropical fish at the pet store, then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I propose culture or sub culture. Lifestyle perhaps

• Like Like x 2
  7. natalie woods

natalie woods Arachnopeon

Hello! Any suggestions on a 1st T I should look into getting? Also, are there any good places online to buy from??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Euthalus sp.
    B.Hamorri
    G.pulchripes
    E. Campestratus to name a few good beginner species.

I always suggest kenthebugguy.com and Jaimie's tarantulas. Fear not tarantulas also has some good reviews

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 14pokies

Arachno culturist(s) perhaps?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. That has a nice ring to it

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. creepa

creepa Arachnoknight

For people who want to expand they're hobby...:D

For me it is allso a hobby..., i collect Theraphosidae to look at and spend time on when i get home from work or before i go to bed etc.

And imo. you cant compare raising children and keeping pets and especially not exotic (no hands on) pets...

Raising children is teaching them to walk and talk, teaching them morals and standards, help them with trey're homework etc..., prepairing them for life.

Having pets is just feeding them and keeping them from taking a dump on the carpet... (and kick them if they do:troll:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking

Sure... Robc "The Tarantula Guy" legacy, ah ah, see that now at Mr. Olympia there's the Goddess* :troll:

:kiss:

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 14pokies

Ahh what? Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. grimmjowls

grimmjowls Arachnoknight Active Member

Search the forums instead of posting on a thread with a completely different topic... That'd be a good start.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  15. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking

Ah ah, well... I've 'taken' what you said and, fast as light, I thought about him. He's a culturist, if I'm not wrong :-s

:angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

I see your point, it's more then just a hobby, it's a responsibility as well. I still can't think of a better term for tarantula enthusiasts. After all, we are spider hoarding weirdos to many, so it helps to have a term for our obsession when speaking with strangers to our ways. I guess I could call myself a zoo keeper, but I ain't charging no admittance fee to visitors. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 14pokies

Gotcha.. No clue. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. Icculus

Icculus Arachnosquire

Exact same thing. Take my 8 year old son for instance. He's been hiding under his bed for the last six months. Saw him for the first time this morning. My how he has grown

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  19. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Define hobby "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

Isn't that exactly what we do with our collections? I wouldn't call it a chore that's for sure, unless I'm rehousing a really nasty specimen and it's giving me a hard time.

20. boina

boina Arachnobaron Active Member

Germany
    I've never said to anyone that tarantula keeping is my hobby - I always just say "I keep tarantulas". Yes, I somehow dislike the term "hobby" for this because I do get attached to every single one of my tarantulas, so much so that I won't sell them unless it's a MM. I even found it hard to sell all the babies from my one eggsac (which is another reason for me to not start breeding). On the other hand they don't mean as much to me as my cats, of course, but nearly as much as my snakes ;).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2