1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobby???

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by basin79, May 18, 2017.

1. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Is it just me that absolutely hates the term hobby when referring to keeping T's?

There just seems something fundamentally wrong to me with keeping living animals and referring to that as a hobby.

Stamp collecting is a hobby. Train spotting is a hobby. Caring for a living animal isn't. To me.

Well that's it. I've let off a tadicum of steam.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. I agree. Keeping living animals living isn't a hobby. I prefer calling myself a tarantula enthusiast

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnobaron Active Member

I don't necessarily hate the term, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I've also thought that everyone on here that refers to it as a hobby, but treats them as if they're their on own kids, is a little ironic. At the same time though, the care for a T and T's themselves are so simple, I can understand how someone would consider it collecting or a hobby. I personally just consider them specimens, and don't quite feel the same towards them as I do towards my reptiles. They still get the best care I can provide, I just don't get attached to them in the same way as other animals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. basin79

I won't ever breed as I hate kids/humans. But if I did and I was a parent I wouldn't suddenly list being a parent as a hobby.

To me the word hobby doesn't justify or appreciate the importance of keeping tarantulas.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. grimmjowls

grimmjowls Arachnoknight Active Member

I call it a hobby but I see what you're saying.

I just see any sort of keeping as a hobby—something I enjoy to do in my free time. I enjoy keeping tarantulas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I don't mind the term. Sounds liberal to label everything and make it all non offensive.

I do hate tarantulas referred to as T's. I think that's just stupid.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Calling them ts just comes about from being too lazy to type tarantulas out every time

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  8. basin79

I'm not one for abbreviations usually but "T" doesn’t bother me. Which is weird thinking about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hellblazer

Hellblazer Arachnosquire

PA
    I wouldn't ever view keeping spiders the same as raising my son. Considering it a "hobby" doesn't mean I don't take care of them.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. basin79

I'm not implying you don't care for them.

I'm typing that being responsible for a living animal isn't a hobby. No matter how much of a privilege it feels.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Active Member

I agree that the term 'hobby' doesn't quite seem to fit the ownership and care of animals. I'm not sure what is more accurate, though.

How about "I keep tarantulas."

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Hellblazer

Hellblazer Arachnosquire

PA
    I get what you're saying, comparing it to being a parent is a bit of a stretch to me though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. basin79

You're responsible for the wellbeing and care of an animal that is entirely dependant on you (until the kid is old enough to take responsibility for themselves) that you have chosen to take care of.

It's the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

Doesn't matter to me.. Typing out enthusiast sounds very snobbish to me. I consider my self a Tarantula keeper. It's just easiest to express my involvement in tarantula culture by saying I'm a hobbyist or keeper.

As far as T or tarantula I use both.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. basin79

I'm in no way snobbish but I can see your point with enthusiast. Although to me enthusiast is just a fancy way to word the fact you feel passionately feel for something.

Hobby is just a throw away term to link it with a living animal (to me).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hellblazer

Hellblazer Arachnosquire

PA
    To me it isn't and I have both. We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. basin79

Aye aye meat pie.

I hear similar from my psychologist every week.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

I wasn't trying to call you a snob. Sorry if it sounded that way.. I get where your coming from and feel kind of the same way. It's like back in the day I was R/C car hobbyist.. It implys tinkering and tuning replaceing parts etc.. None of that is involved in Tarantula keeping so I can see where it forms a rift for you and others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Calling it a culture seems more apt

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking

I'm disgusted by the fact that you haven't already killed him in a kinda 'artistic' way, maybe putting one of the sharp, useless, priced items they love to collect in their studio/s inside his body :-/

:kiss:

• Funny Funny x 3