Hobby Lobby Sling Enclosures

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
@miss moxie, I drove by a Hobby Lobby yesterday and had to go in because I thought of this thread. I got some enclosures for my GBBs!

View attachment 261914

View attachment 261915
Those look awesome! Currently I breed 11 species of isopods, but reading these forums are making me want to get into some T’s also! What would be a good starter species? Preferably something easy to keep and possibly breed at some point. Any info and tips you have for a newbie would be great, I hope to get my first T in the next week or so (if I find a good source). Thanks!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Those look awesome! Currently I breed 11 species of isopods, but reading these forums are making me want to get into some T’s also! What would be a good starter species? Preferably something easy to keep and possibly breed at some point. Any info and tips you have for a newbie would be great, I hope to get my first T in the next week or so (if I find a good source). Thanks!
I will always reccomend Caribena versicolor as a great starter tarantula. I love them out of any tarantula ever. Make sure to give them plenty of cross ventilation with a water dish at the bottom. Some say you can keep the substrate dry with a water dish but I like to keep it semi damp with a water dish. Here’s a quick guide on how to set up an enclosure for a sling.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/caribena-versicolor-how-to-create-an-enclosure-for-slings.295457/

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
I will always reccomend Caribena versicolor as a great starter tarantula. I love them out of any tarantula ever. Make sure to give them plenty of cross ventilation with a water dish at the bottom. Some say you can keep the substrate dry with a water dish but I like to keep it semi damp with a water dish. Here’s a quick guide on how to set up an enclosure for a sling.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/caribena-versicolor-how-to-create-an-enclosure-for-slings.295457/
Thank you!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
No problem! This is just my opinion though. Others may recommend something totally different that you may like more!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
This thread should help you out ;)
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-hobbiest-looking-for-a-starter-t.302641/

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I used a soldering iron. Took maybe 10 minutes to do 12. I got the cholla wood at hobby lobby as well. The chromatus slings are anywhere from .3" to .5" in size right now.

They do. I grabbed two in soft ball size and one for a bigger model car.

The first : https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...eball-Display-Case-with-Plastic-Base/p/108343

The second : https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...9-x-4-3-8-x-4-1-8-Standard-Display-Case/p/901

It would probably be a nice, cheap display enclosure for a smaller T. Like Euathlus, Dolichothele diamantinensis. I wouldn't put anything bigger than 5" in it though. Could make a really interesting small-scorpion communal too.
Thanks to you and this thread, I bought a soldering iron and have been poking holes in everything. Now I'm planning a trip to Hobby Lobby. You arachnoboards people with your great ideas and pictures are always making me spend money :shifty:.

*cough cough* Also looking at you @PanzoN88

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thanks to you and this thread, I bought a soldering iron and have been poking holes in everything.
I used to use a needle/pin heated over a candle-flame to poke holes into my enclosures at first. It took FOREVER. The soldering iron is my best friend.

JohnR

Arachnopeon
Posted it from another thread and thought of sharing my arboreal prototypes using Hobby Lobby display cases...

C. versicolor enclosure prototype

Mostly half of the casing I bought for my enclosure builds are from there, other half is from The Container Store's AMAC boxes...

IMG_2143.jpg

Valexander

Arachnopeon
I did a bit of rehousing today when I found a better option for my tiniest of slings.

To:

I rehoused my 9 N. chromatus slings, all alive and well, as well as my little bitty Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large. So far I am absolutely loving these little enclosures! I can see inside easily, and the threading of those jars was just horrendous. I'd been looking for alternatives to housing tiny slings because I'm awfully 'extra' and like an aesthetically appealing enclosure no matter what the tarantula size. These are from hobby lobby, a 6 pack of display cases meant for those tiny little matchbox cars. Ventilation holes were added with a soldering iron, as per usual for me.

I even picked up some cholla wood after seeing it in @ErinM31's cambridgei enclosure. My Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large sling immediately went into one of the holes so I think they like it!

The price of the enclosures is $8.99 per pack of six, which works out to roughly $1.50 a piece. Well worth it in my opinion.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday because of this thread and I couldn't find anything. No Amac boxes at all. No toy car diaplay cases. All they had were baseball and football cases, but the kind with the black plastic bottom. I guess I could replace that with a DIY lid. I was disappointed on my trip. Going tomorrow to check out a different location.
I wish I had a Container store in the area, but here in the armpit of the free world (Birmingham, AL) there is nothing like that and it gets expensive to have EVERYTHING shipped to you.

Stronok

Arachnopeon
I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday because of this thread and I couldn't find anything. No Amac boxes at all. No toy car diaplay cases. All they had were baseball and football cases, but the kind with the black plastic bottom. I guess I could replace that with a DIY lid. I was disappointed on my trip. Going tomorrow to check out a different location.
I wish I had a Container store in the area, but here in the armpit of the free world (Birmingham, AL) there is nothing like that and it gets expensive to have EVERYTHING shipped to you.
you can still order online and get the 40% off...

Stronok

Arachnopeon
Also never seen amac there

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I love these enclosures so much. When I first discovered them a year ago I went crazy and bought a ton of them lol. They look so good and they are super affordable.

Mulegirl

Arachnopeon
I had trouble finding them too. They are in the model car aisle and look like they contain a model car kit but they are actually display boxes. Just look closely. At my store, they were closer to the bottom and closer to the end of the aisle. They don't carry the amac boxes.