1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobby Lobby Sling Enclosures

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by miss moxie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    I did a bit of rehousing today when I found a better option for my tiniest of slings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I rehoused my 9 N. chromatus slings, all alive and well, as well as my little bitty Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large. So far I am absolutely loving these little enclosures! I can see inside easily, and the threading of those jars was just horrendous. I'd been looking for alternatives to housing tiny slings because I'm awfully 'extra' and like an aesthetically appealing enclosure no matter what the tarantula size. These are from hobby lobby, a 6 pack of display cases meant for those tiny little matchbox cars. Ventilation holes were added with a soldering iron, as per usual for me.

I even picked up some cholla wood after seeing it in @ErinM31's cambridgei enclosure. My Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large sling immediately went into one of the holes so I think they like it!

The price of the enclosures is $8.99 per pack of six, which works out to roughly $1.50 a piece. Well worth it in my opinion.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

Calgary
    It is amazing how expensive these are in Canada compared to what Hobby Lobby is selling them for in the U.S.

3. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Supply and demand, maybe? Perhaps there aren't many Canadians who feel the need to display matchbox cars? :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

I recently bought a bunch of these cases in different sizes. I have 4 dozen of the 6-pack cases, but I’m too lazy to drill the holes. Can you do it? For every 5, you can have 1. :smug:
    Awesome design! Where did you get the cholla wood? How big are the chromatus slings?

5. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    Looks amazing! Do they make these in bigger sizes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnosquire

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

Thoughts on the 10"x10"x10" basketball case?

Don't forget to use the 40% off coupon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

I used a soldering iron. Took maybe 10 minutes to do 12. I got the cholla wood at hobby lobby as well. The chromatus slings are anywhere from .3" to .5" in size right now.

They do. I grabbed two in soft ball size and one for a bigger model car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first : https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...eball-Display-Case-with-Plastic-Base/p/108343

The second : https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...9-x-4-3-8-x-4-1-8-Standard-Display-Case/p/901

It would probably be a nice, cheap display enclosure for a smaller T. Like Euathlus, Dolichothele diamantinensis. I wouldn't put anything bigger than 5" in it though. Could make a really interesting small-scorpion communal too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

I see you're from Gettysburg (I'm in Mechanicsburg), you snag them at the Hanover Hobby Lobby off Rte. 94?

10. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Yup, the one in that strip mall area with Target and Petsmart.

11. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

I stopped there once for some model rocket stuff before heading over to Lincoln for a race.

12. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I actually just bought one today. With the coupon it was just under $15 with tax. It is the exact same dimensions as the premade Dalle Craft enclosure that I am using for a gbb that costs $35.

I’m going to try to add a latch and hinge and of course air holes. If figure its worth the $15 risk to try once.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanBsTs

DanBsTs The Happy Tarantula Keeper (watch my videos) Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    Those enclosures look awesome! I'll have to swing by my local hobby shop and pick some up.

14. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I haven’t modified it at all yet but I don’t like it as much as I’d hoped. The cases have a flat bottom and beveled edges everywhere else. On the smaller cases it isn’t too pronounced and looks okay. On the big 10” cube the bevels are larger and when you turn it over so the opening is on the top it looks kind of funny to me. I’m being kind of picky but I’m not a huge fan of the way it looks. I’m sure it will function as well as any of the others.

Unfortunately Hobby Lobby doesn’t carry the ones without the bevels and the cheapest ones I’ve seen are $30 at other places that don’t have a 40% off coupon. At that price I’d rather buy the $35 Dalle Craft that is premade.

Pictures for reference. Picture one is upside down for top access. Picture two is right side up as manufacturer intended so you can see the bevel.

F39CEC64-BCA2-4602-8D99-3D43AF4D97E0.jpeg

FF6F4EF1-294E-46E9-B217-6A3EE309D7BA.jpeg

15. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

I have all my Ts in these containers except my Avic, that is in an Amac box. I use a drill with a teeny bit to drill the holes. For my largest T (about 4") I set up the lid with a latch but not for the rest of them. The lids are actually a bit hard to open so I don't worry about them getting out.

Once all the Ts grow up and need big enclosures, well, not sure what I will put them in.
    Here is one of the little baseball boxes. This is for one of my GBB slings.

1210171036a.jpg

16. StampFan

Calgary
    If you like these why not just upgrade to the basketball cubes or football rectangles?

17. Garth Vader

I have the football one for my 4" G pulchripes. My guess is that she will get a bit too big for it eventually. I did have her in the basketball one but it seemed a bit small for her. I will use those when I can!
    Eventually my A anax and P auratus will be too big for those, I think.

18. StampFan

Calgary
    I've seen some basketball cubes as 10X10X10, and some as 12X12X12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Garth Vader

Yes and that seems fine for some sizes. I have also seen the cubes in thise two sizes. Once a T is 5" or more it will be too small, IMO.

I have a while to figure it out. The A anax grows so slowly and the others are just tiny slings right now. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    @miss moxie, I drove by a Hobby Lobby yesterday and had to go in because I thought of this thread. I got some enclosures for my GBBs!

7DDABF1F-9932-4C18-8D07-92A720D6EDD4.jpeg

2090B277-9895-417A-9C25-7B6BC105923F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1