Hissing Roaches and Tank Size?

BuenosRoaches

Arachnopeon
Would a circular terrarium measuring 10.5 inches long and wide by 5.5 inches high be suitable for 4 adult g portentosa?

BuenosRoaches

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure yet, as their horns haven't really developed yet and i wanted to see if it was plausible as a permanent enclosure. Are there ways to sex them other than the horns? And if there were multiple males, would it be possible to use this enclosure? Would they fight? They appear to get along well as of now, no combat or anything, they sit near each other on their hides. I got them from petco, if it helps. Thanks.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know for some other roach species, you can sex them by their abdomen segments... I am not sure if G. portensa is the same. You could maybe do a quick search to see if anything comes up about it?

If you have two males, I think you could be okay as long as you provide hides on both sides of the enclosure. But three or all four being male probably wouldn't work.

BuenosRoaches

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks. I believe a couple might be hybrids, being petco stock and all, so should i just wait until they visibly develop horns or show signs of aggression? I have spare enclosures suitable for their purposes. As stated above, they have shown no signs of aggression and often three or four will be in the same hide.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
If they haven't shown aggression yet, I wouldn't go to the trouble of splitting them up and rehousing. Among Hissers, I believe "aggression" rarely results in harm. It's not like large male Blaberus that chew each other's wings up. However, if there's too much head-butting going on without a break, they may become stressed – so just keep in mind that it might be necessary to split up a few males. But you could just wait to see if it becomes an issue.

BuenosRoaches

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your help guys, it means a lot to me. I'll keep an eye out and split 'em up if there is an issue.