Hissing mystery...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They can look very different from one instar to the next, maybe that's what some are looking at. Here's a pic of Hisser nymphs.

Last edited:

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well now i'm doubley confused. are they hissers or arent they? where are the new ones coming from? silly cloning roaches!!!!

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok...I had a chance to look at my juvie hisssers this morning and yes they do have the pale area on the sides of the thorax. Funny how I really hadn't noticed that for over 10 years. So I guess your roaches are hissers.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok that good to know but how did they go from 11 to 14? any experience with very young roaches breeding?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are indeed hissers. If you had a clutch born in your KK, you would be seeing tiny, pillbug sized babies (between 30-60 per momma); who would then almost immediately escape through the slits in the lid. :D
If you have anything larger than a pillbug in your KK...then you must have simply miscounted.
Subadults cannot breed. They are sub adults.
Hope this helps!

:) ~BugMomma

p.s...using mesh under the lid of the KK works most efficiently.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

If you have anything larger than a pillbug in your KK...then you must have simply miscounted.
COLOR]

well i know for a fact that i didn't miscount because i bought them as a group of 10 and the guy hand counted them out. then i hand counted them into there new container plus an extra which was in with the adults when i bought them. Then AGAIN when i moved them to there new container. Then again whene there were 14 when i moved them into what they are in now a critter keeper with screen under the lid.

daiv

Arachnopeon
I would guess that there were three really small ones hiding in the substrate.

Then they grew bigger.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in fact, modern day common hissers are all hybrid, since the earlier keeprs/collectors had no knowledge of the differences in between one sp to another, they just threw them into the bin.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Yep, all are hissers. As for the extra nymphs, sometimes they hitch-hike on the bottom of the adults. I have also had some get on my hands with out knowing (they dont weigh much and you may not feel them taking a ride on your hand). Either way, sub adults cannot breed because they are only able to on their last molt. Unlike humans, where mating is possible when one is not considered an "adult".
Hope that sheds some insight.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, all are hissers. As for the extra nymphs, sometimes they hitch-hike on the bottom of the adults. I have also had some get on my hands with out knowing (they dont weigh much and you may not feel them taking a ride on your hand). Either way, sub adults cannot breed because they are only able to on their last molt. Unlike humans, where mating is possible when one is not considered an "adult".
Hope that sheds some insight.

well the juvies and adults have never been in the same enclosure as i bought them separately. and as for riding on my hand it would have had to do that with the seller and then myself 2 or 3 times so i'm still kind of baffled:?