Hissing Cockroaches and Housing

therealdieg0

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I’m new to this page and new to owning insects as pets! Very excited to be here! So I recently just acquired a handful of hissing cockroaches from a friend that no longer wanted them. Plus I might get a scorpion eventually. I did have a question concerning the housing I put the roaches in. I have 12 of them, 6 males and 6 females. I’m still on the fence about letting them breed and I might separate soon if I don’t.

However, if they do breed and babies appear, they’re currently in a critter keeper since it’s all I had available to put them in. I’d like to keep them in there if possible. Are the babies small enough to get out through the thin air holes on the keeper covers? If I have to, I can get a new tank to better suit them if they breed.

802BC4A3-2546-48D7-B9FA-E4676CFDFF44.png

Here are two of them to see how cute they are!
5F9BBD18-224C-44BA-A4B3-3EC4B562B973.jpeg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum! They can and will get out of critter keeper holes. You'll need something that seals well and plenty of Vaseline to try to slow the little nymphs down. Alternatively, you can put some sort of cloth under the lid to help seal them in when the critter keeper is closed. They tend not to breed if it's too cool or the humidity is too low, so you can use that to your advantage.