Hissing cockroach heating and climbing?

CyborgVulture

Arachnopeon
Hey there,

So I have a few questions about hissing cockroaches based on some info I’ve gotten from different care videos and pictures of enclosures.

What kind of heating is best for these guys? I saw a picture of someone’s set-up and they had a heating lamp, but would that hurt them to have direct light?

Also, if they were in a glass tank with wire mesh lid do you still need to put jelly around the top to discourage climbing? Can they chew through the lids like tarantulas?

Thanks!

Arachnotroik

Arachnosquire
I don't think they chew? Since a friend of mine has about 5-10 colonies of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, and all of them are in a bin with a plastic wire mesh. He never had a problem, but they do climb and sometimes just hang in the screen all day.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
The only time you'll have issues is if they breed. The young are tiny and will get through unless your mesh is super fine.

Psydeus565

Arachnopeon
And depending on where you live, you won't need any heat. I've had a colony for around 10 years and don't use heat in the winter when it reaches around 50-60F, though if it goes below that I would get a ceramic bulb or heat pad. Their breeding stops at that point, but that is a good thing if you don't have anything that eats them. Also, if you are breeding, those babies fit in the tiniest of cracks and you will want a barrier.