Hissers vs dubias

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are there any roaches which are easy to breed and legal in Canada?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
So can B.lateralis climb say a critter keeper style enclosure? I've been considering getting some but I'm worried about escapes lol plus I only have 3 T's as of tommorow and I hear they breed like crazy... Like how many nymphs roughly would 10 gravid female roaches produce in the space of a month?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
So can B.lateralis climb say a critter keeper style enclosure? I've been considering getting some but I'm worried about escapes lol plus I only have 3 T's as of tommorow and I hear they breed like crazy... Like how many nymphs roughly would 10 gravid female roaches produce in the space of a month?
I only have three and it would probably be better to just get crickets, unless of course you want to start a colony as a separate endeavor while having some extra feeders as a bonus.

---------- Post added 02-27-2012 at 02:54 PM ----------

+1 - they're about the size of crickets, but much easier to keep.
I thought they look to be about the size of crickets and if I'm going to feed my tarantulas crickets than why not lats, right?
Is cooling their enclosure a good way to stop breeding when you have too many?

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Lowering temperature *should* slow their breeding, but I think that works better with B. dubia. I've found just freezing the excess works well. If you set some paper towel or toilet paper rolls ON TOP of your egg crates, you'll get mostly males hiding in them. Feed out then freeze ;).

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
I've found plucking the antennae off of my B dubias make the roach super disoriented. They'll stumble around for a minute and by that time, my tarantulas are on top of them.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
I've found plucking the antennae off of my B dubias make the roach super disoriented. They'll stumble around for a minute and by that time, my tarantulas are on top of them.
at first i was like.. SID SID, you evil toy story kid pulling bugs antennae off!! and then im like, reeeally, that sounds like a good idea! stupid roaches!!

i have a ton of dubia roaches but nothing large enough to eat them at the moment and I can't see myself ripping off antenna to find out for myself right now, so maybe you can do it next time you feed. Does the antenna pulling stop them from immediately burrowing? get back to us on that, cause that is the only thing that strikes anger in me. watching that roach burrow into the ground never to be seen again, except by mites.. it would be like all the gladiators digging into the ground and escaping the Colosseum games! booooo

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I've recently started using dubias over crickets... and granted I do like them more than crickets (never thought I'd say that!), however when they burrow, it's agitating. :\ If the antennae thing works, I too would like to know! O_O

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I've recently started using dubias over crickets... and granted I do like them more than crickets (never thought I'd say that!), however when they burrow, it's agitating. :\ If the antennae thing works, I too would like to know! O_O
Lol, I use a knife. Their antennae stick out of their shells just naturally. I just take the knife, press down on the antenna and just pull forward and boom, it's done. Easy and not as disgusting as smashing their heads. And yes, it does work. I do it every time I feed my T's a roach anymore. They're super retarded and stagger around, I mean I just ripped the things they use to sense their environment out of their head, of course they'll be shaken up about that, haha. Try it for yourself... If you do my technique right, it should be fine. Honestly, I would use a roach that you know your T can take easily, because if it's a huge roach, it'll take forever for your T to kill it if you don't smash its head or debilitate it in some way.

---------- Post added 03-01-2012 at 03:57 AM ----------

Oh, and yeah they TRY to burrow, but since they're shaken up and in obvious pain, they suck at it. Usually they just stumble across the top and stimulate a reaction from the spiders rather quickly.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jhalla16- Oh wow! I'm definitely going to start doing that! Thanks so much... now I won't have to play "Let's Find the Roach" anymore, haha!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
jhalla16- Oh wow! I'm definitely going to start doing that! Thanks so much... now I won't have to play "Let's Find the Roach" anymore, haha!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I used to play that game. I told them I'm done playing games, hahaha.

Lexx

Arachnopeon
So I'm new to tarantula keeping but I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm hook. Looking into alternatives to crickets and have been considering roaches. My concern is the roach infestations seen in people's homes has always freaked me out. I'm assuming these types of roaches aren't in the same category? What would happen if some of these got loose could they cause an infestation problem. I know how easy crickets seem to escape and later heard in the house but at least they die off and cause no concern for infestation, just wondering if someone could share some info on keeping these critters.

hotflakes2

Arachnosquire
What do dubia roaches eat?i dropped 2pcs of dog food pellets..and theyre ignoring it..

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
What do dubia roaches eat?i dropped 2pcs of dog food pellets..and theyre ignoring it..
Try grinding it up. I've fed mine bread, crushed up cat food, crushed up ferret food... Pretty much anything I had at the time, lol. I tried turkey one time... They didn't eat it.

hotflakes2

Arachnosquire
Try grinding it up. I've fed mine bread, crushed up cat food, crushed up ferret food... Pretty much anything I had at the time, lol. I tried turkey one time... They didn't eat it.
turkey?! can i have it instead? *drool

anyways i bought superworms for my friends.

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
How small of a roach colony can you have and still keep it going? I'm thinking about switching to roaches but I only have 3 adults and 2 slings to feed.

hotflakes2

Arachnosquire
How small of a roach colony can you have and still keep it going? I'm thinking about switching to roaches but I only have 3 adults and 2 slings to feed.
Try to get like 30 adults cause you wont know if you have a female with the 3 that you have.

Out of Topic: I have fed my T's superworms since I got them, Will this get them fat? should i try feeding them lats? btw, theyre still slings 1cm.

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
Try to get like 30 adults cause you wont know if you have a female with the 3 that you have.

Out of Topic: I have fed my T's superworms since I got them, Will this get them fat? should i try feeding them lats? btw, theyre still slings 1cm.
I should have clarified. I have 0 roaches but 3 adult T's and 2 slings

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure if you start a colony and they are able to breed you'll have more than you want in no time. I want to use lats when I get my own place and have a T-room but not until I have at least a dozen Ts.

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
I got around 70 mixed juvenile roaches like 6 months ago. Since then, I got a bunch of adults of out of them, and now, since they've been breeding like a mofo, I have like... I would say around 100 - 150 baby dubias running around, plus the 20 or so adults left. Only have 10 tarantulas, though. I feel like I can control the population of my colony easily. I am their ruler, hahaha.

---------- Post added 03-15-2012 at 08:19 PM ----------

I got around 70 mixed juvenile roaches like 6 months ago. Since then, I got a bunch of adults of out of them, and now, since they've been breeding like a mofo, I have like... I would say around 100 - 150 baby dubias running around, plus the 20 or so adults left. Only have 10 tarantulas, though. I feel like I can control the population of my colony easily. I am their ruler, hahaha.