Hisser's Tarsis all gone-normally docile hisser now resisting handling and seems to be in pain

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
My hisser's Tarsis are all gone-I looked today and all of them on his left side have fallen off. I tried to get him onto my hand but he resisted vehemently and hissed at me. Could he be in pain due to his tarsis being gone, and should I euthanize him?

He is a little more than two years old and could be getting too old. I'm debating whether to let him go in peace naturally or to euthanize him.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely no need to euthanize him. Many older hissers seem to lose their tarsi. It's of no real consequence other than it hinders their ability to climb. I have two females that were taken from a large colony and both are missing at least a few tarsi.

It doesn't cause them any pain. Invertebrates don't feel pain the way that we do.

Has he always been feisty when it comes to handling, or was he calm before? Have you ever handled him before? My males are almost always resistant and hiss when I need to move them. The females are much quieter. That could just be his personality. If this behavior is new, he could just be a little more on edge for one reason or another. It wouldn't be due to pain though

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
He has hissed occasionally at me when I touch his abdomen at times, but I handle him frequently. He is a single hisser. A few days ago he was sort of raising his abdomen in a mating display so I think the hormones are making him more aggressive?

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
Definitely no need to euthanize him. Many older hissers seem to lose their tarsi. It's of no real consequence other than it hinders their ability to climb. I have two females that were taken from a large colony and both are missing at least a few tarsi.

It doesn't cause them any pain. Invertebrates don't feel pain the way that we do.

Has he always been feisty when it comes to handling, or was he calm before? Have you ever handled him before? My males are almost always resistant and hiss when I need to move them. The females are much quieter. That could just be his personality. If this behavior is new, he could just be a little more on edge for one reason or another. It wouldn't be due to pain though
He has hissed occasionally at me when I touch his abdomen at times, but I handle him frequently. He is a single hisser. A few days ago he was sort of raising his abdomen in a mating display so I think the hormones are making him more aggressive?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
That's possible. Either way, the behavior you're mentioning doesn't sound that out of the ordinary, and shouldn't be anything to be concerned with. Certainly not anything to euthanize him about :)

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
That's possible. Either way, the behavior you're mentioning doesn't sound that out of the ordinary, and shouldn't be anything to be concerned with. Certainly not anything to euthanize him about :)
Thanks!
Is there any way I can make his old age more comfortable for him? I want him to be comfortable until his last days

coniontises

Arachnosquire
A number of insects are known and documented to die of mandible wear (starvation due to weak jaws) when too old. In one book, it was mentioned that senile Carabus nemoralis fed macerated liver regained health and fat deposits or something.

Basically, mushy foods may be useful for aging chewing-jaw insects.

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
A number of insects are known and documented to die of mandible wear (starvation due to weak jaws) when too old. In one book, it was mentioned that senile Carabus nemoralis fed macerated liver regained health and fat deposits or something.

Thank you!

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire

Would mashed fruit be good?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks!
Is there any way I can make his old age more comfortable for him? I want him to be comfortable until his last days
You shouldn't need to do anything more different than usual, although the issue with weakened mandibles is new to me. You could feed him soft or mashed fruit, soft veggies, roach/beetle jelly, and/or fish flakes. You could also use moistened dog or cat food pellets so it's soft. Just be sure to remove any uneaten food after a few hours because it could mold or attract pests.

Also, was the roach an adult when you got him? If he's really only 2 years old, he should still have a bit of time left, so you don't need to be too concerned just yet. But if you've had him for close to 2 years and he was an adult when you got him, then he is a little up there in age

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
You shouldn't need to do anything more different than usual, although the issue with weakened mandibles is new to me. You could feed him soft or mashed fruit, soft veggies, roach/beetle jelly, and/or fish flakes. You could also use moistened dog or cat food pellets so it's soft. Just be sure to remove any uneaten food after a few hours because it could mold or attract pests.

Also, was the roach an adult when you got him? If he's really only 2 years old, he should still have a bit of time left, so you don't need to be too concerned just yet. But if you've had him for close to 2 years and he was an adult when you got him, then he is a little up there in age
He was an adult when I got him.

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire

Also what veggies are soft?

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
Alright, so the tough part about that is that is since you got him as an adult, you don't know how old he actually is.

Lettuce and cucumbers. Carrots and potatoes should also be soft enough. Just to name a few off the top of my head.
The guy I got him from said he was 5 months old.
I've tried feeding him some strawberry and blueberry but he keeps refusing to eat it and seems scared of the food

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The guy I got him from said he was 5 months old.
I've tried feeding him some strawberry and blueberry but he keeps refusing to eat it and seems scared of the food
That age could be possible. My babies were born in September, and are close to adulthood. I keep mine on the low side of their temperature range though. So if he is only about 2.5 years old, he could still potentially have another 2.5 left (possibly).

Is he eating at all? Perhaps he just doesn't like blueberries or strawberries. You could try other things as well

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
That age could be possible. My babies were born in September, and are close to adulthood. I keep mine on the low side of their temperature range though. So if he is only about 2.5 years old, he could still potentially have another 2.5 left (possibly).

Is he eating at all? Perhaps he just doesn't like blueberries or strawberries. You could try other things as well
He does eat, but I'm unsure whether he ate this week or not.

Have you had old hissers before?

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire

He seems to like oranges. I just put some orange, lettuce and cat food into his enclosure but these days he's not coming out of his paper tube to eat. He always avoids food I give him.

Last edited: