Hissers for food.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got 6 roaches from a pet shop today, Giant Hissers, the Madagaskan(sp) ones, dont know the sexes, but is 6 enough to start some sort of a breeding colony? and how long would it take?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can start with six but it will take a long time get a population that you can feed off of with impunity. Hissers take along time to mature. Hissers don't make great feeders but some people do use them. If you use them as a feeder you only want to use nymphs that are half grown or smaller. There have been several reports of tarantulas breaking a fang on large or adult hissers due to their thick hard exoskeleton.

Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches
(Gromphadorhina portentosa)

Daytime temps 85 to 95 - night time temps above 68
Life span 2 to 3 years
Max length 4"
Reach adult size within 3 to 4 months at higher temperatures
Sexually maturity in 6 to 7 months
Females can produce up to 30 young at a time
Gestation period approximately 30 days
Sexable - Males have 2 raised "horns" located just behind the head and sensory hairs on antennae
Flightless
Glass climbers

http://www.geocities.com/lflank/roaches.html

IMO, You would probably be better off using Blaberus discoidales or Blaptica dubia as a feeder roach than Mad. Hissers.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yea, i have hissers and lobsters (Nauphoeta cinerea). i kinda keep the hissers as pets, and use the lobsters as feeders.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got some lobsters for feeders, but the hissers were free, so i was gonna try to breed them and get some bigger tarantulas, but not if one can break a fang on its outer shell, ill try feeding one to me Asian Forest scorpion and see if she likes them, if not, ill raise them as possible centipede food for when mine get bigger