HISSER OOTHECA ABORTION? help!

scott moyers

Arachnopeon
hello friends. i have a problem. my SINGLE female hissing roach, Samantha, cant stop pooping out kids. she gave birth unexpectedly last winter to about 50 babies. and NOW i found 3 new baby roaches in her cage along with an ootheca. she is all alone in her cage, so she cant be getting pregnant that way idk how she had more kids. I do not have an inexcapable cage, so im a concerned alot. its summer now, if any babies escaped they will LIVE AND GROW IN MY HOME. So anyway, my question is, did she have an abortion and only a couple babies were far enough along to survive, or is there 50 more babies crawling about my room. someone enlighten me please thanks. also can anyone explain how this happened and if its goig to happen again. I really appretchiate the help.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you find the string of eggs on the floor of the enclosure, she aborted it. They will extrude the ooth one or two times during development to rotate the eggs, but will then pull them back in. Females can store sperm for a really long time (I want to say 1-2 years, but don't quote me on it), so there's potential for more nymphs if the conditions are favorable. A house tends to be an extremely poor location for most roaches, so I'd expect the young nymphs to die in there if they've escaped.

scott moyers

Arachnopeon
If you find the string of eggs on the floor of the enclosure, she aborted it. They will extrude the ooth one or two times during development to rotate the eggs, but will then pull them back in. Females can store sperm for a really long time (I want to say 1-2 years, but don't quote me on it), so there's potential for more nymphs if the conditions are favorable. A house tends to be an extremely poor location for most roaches, so I'd expect the young nymphs to die in there if they've escaped.
Thank you! This is very informitive and im greatful for the response!!