High School Bug Club

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I am the founder & president of a Bug Club at the school I attend. Our purpose is to do away with the negative stigma around bugs and to replace it with knowledge & appreciation. Perhaps we can even foster a love for these bugs in my peers. :) I started the club last year as a freshman, but honestly didn’t do much with it because I was a scared freshman. :p

Our club meets every Friday and we talk about bugs, feed bugs, watch bugs, etc. My collection itself focuses mainly on centipedes, but I realize that centipedes can be seen as erratic and unpredictable. Thusly, we have mainly stuck with tarantulas as our “ambassador group”, so to speak, before introducing more of the diverse world of Arthropoda.

<edit>

I will be using this thread to update about our club in the future! We have some cool outreach things planned, so hopefully this thread will fill up with photos :).

Last edited by a moderator:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
<edit>

I will be using this thread to update about our club in the future! We have some cool outreach things planned, so hopefully this thread will fill up with photos :).
I think it's fantastic any time I see a young person taking the initiative to start a club, share their interests, and educate their peers! I wish you well in your endeavors - and might have something more substantial than good wishes to offer, but your inbox is full so I can't message you.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I think it's fantastic any time I see a young person taking the initiative to start a club, share their interests, and educate their peers! I wish you well in your endeavors - and might have something more substantial than good wishes to offer, but your inbox is full so I can't message you.
Thank you! You could email me at brendanlan1118@gmail.com :)

The general response from the community has been insanely positive & more than I could’ve hoped for! I will update this thread with photos after this Friday’s meeting.

Some photos from today’s meeting :)

14AB094D-DCD2-4DD4-A3C5-992BC594FD8D.jpeg
636E76F8-E04F-4C60-BA8C-CE3031B68DC3.jpeg
(I realize the risks involved with handling tarantulas, but I have honestly found handling to be the best way to combat stigma. Please do not start this debate here. Thank you! :cat:)

06F88715-75DD-46FC-A776-21D8F10B89F5.jpeg
D8583674-EC98-4677-8D41-46E4EB48D6BC.jpeg
@Josh215, here is the female Phormictopus auratus you donated! All situated & being appreciated by the club members. She has been named Shaniqua by popular vote. :rofl:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Any updates @BobBarley? I'm curious to see if this club is still active and how everything is going.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
The school year has just started, and we had our first meeting on Friday! We will be taking a trip to the river next week, and I hope to get many photos :).