Hi

danharvey27

Arachnopeon
i want to buy my first tarantula. Any suggestions or things to remember as a newbie ?
Im in winnipeg manitoba. Any place or person whom i could talk to and buy my first one ?

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Hi, welcome to the forum!
I can't help you directly as I live in Australia, but there are lots of threads to read for information, and there is a classified section that may help you find a supplier.

cold blood

Staff member
@VanessaS , @Venom1080 , @Nightstalker47 are all fellow Canadians that can help with good places to get them from....tarantulacanada is always a good choice for selection though.

Good choices would be G. pulchripes, A. chalcodes, B. albopilosum or B. hamorii. All great beginner species.

Last edited:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I would go with Tarantulas Canada or Tangled in Webs. Nothing but good things to say about both Amanda and Dawn. Dawn also does group shipments to Manitoba semi-regularly, so you can get in on reduced price shipping if you're willing to wait.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You will want to try to get in on a group shipment if possible - both Tangled in Webs and Tarantula Canada offer them. With recent changes to the shipment of live animals by Canada Post, Reptile Express is now being used to ship animals and it is more expensive than Canada Post was.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
although they do age like honey as in they take an eternity to grow
My female went from 1/4" to over 3" in about 18 months. My tarantulas are kept at room temperature and I do not power feed them.
They are not a slow growing species, they are more medium growth. Compared to other species in this genus, they are fast growing. They are the fastest growing of all the species suitable for beginners.