Heterothele villosella

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Ive done some reading around and become absolutely obsessed with these guys. My next purchase is quite a ways out. I want my Psalmopoeus cambridgei sling to mature before i get ANYTHING else, but when i do... these guys are at the TOP of my wishlist.
Being the me that I am, i figured id get as much information as i can before i get one. I'll list what I've already gleaned and hope someone will fill in the gaps.
1) old world
2) heavy heavy webbers
3) a lot of communal success stories
4) dwarves (conflicting info here, some places say they max at 2.5 inches, somewhere said 4 inches. Which is it?)

That... about sums it up. Thats what I've found. I have no idea on their general temperament, though i would assume they're skittish. They seem to be out and about until a disturbance chases them into a web cave.
General feeding response is relatively mysterious. As baboons, i assume theyre far from boring?
Moisture requirements. I know most baboons like it dry, but some like some moisture. Where do these land?
Ease of breeding? This is definitely far off, but if i ever decided to attempt a communal, this is how I'd want to do it.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but if anyone thinks of anything i missed and need to know, I'd very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance, everyone!

boina

Lady of the mites
I haven't got one but I looked at a few at the last expo and talked to some people because I was thinking of buying one. I didn't, because:

1. They are really small. What went as adult females was 2.5" at most, looking smaller to me. 4"?? Never.
2. They are seriously fast and skittish. Nearly all dwarfs are very fast and skittish (with Euathlus/Homoeomma being the only exception I can think of) but this one gets an extra rung on the fast and skittish ladder.

That's what I inquired about or saw, so can't help you with the rest :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They are from quite tropical regions of Africa so will appreciate a little more humidity than other baboon species, though they are quite hardy so they will survive without it.

They max at 2-2.5". A true dwarf baboon.

They are very prolific webbers and are lightning fast.

They can be kept communally and are easily bred. Though keeping in a commune you would need to allow space as they work together best when they have their own hides, unlike other species who manage best living ontop of each other.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My reply never posted... thats interesting.
Anyways, thanks guys! I have no idea why they said 4 inches. It was on some dealer with a website. Cant remember which one, but it seemed a tad unbelievable.
So, super skittish and moves like Ricky Bobby. Definitely starting with one.

user 666

Arachnobaron
My reply never posted... thats interesting.
Anyways, thanks guys! I have no idea why they said 4 inches. It was on some dealer with a website. Cant remember which one, but it seemed a tad unbelievable.
So, super skittish and moves like Ricky Bobby. Definitely starting with one.
that's weird.

I got the email for it.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
that's weird.

I got the email for it.
I meant i had tried replying much earlier in the day and it didn't go through. The ratings for their posts did, though.
Probably just signal issues in my little square in the middle of nowhere.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have 5 all housed seperately. I paid too much for them to eat each other lol. They all made webs and stay in them until food Is introduced. They are ok, but far down the line of my fav dwarf t's.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Have you seen H. gabonensis? I find them (personally) prettier, with that dark -almost- blue coloration. I definitely want one. What you said pretty much sums up what I've heard about the gabonensis and I assume they're very similar in care/size/temperament.

Also...I know a guy who's offering H. villosella as a freebie if you order from him. You can PM me if you're interested. I love playing devil's advocate.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Have you seen H. gabonensis? I find them (personally) prettier, with that dark -almost- blue coloration. I definitely want one. What you said pretty much sums up what I've heard about the gabonensis and I assume they're very similar in care/size/temperament.

Also...I know a guy who's offering H. villosella as a freebie if you order from him. You can PM me if you're interested. I love playing devil's advocate.
While that is certainly tempting, i really am gonna wait for my P. cam to mature before i buy ANYTHING else, let alone my first OW. Should only be 4 or 5 more months. I can be patient.
I CAN, DANG IT!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
While that is certainly tempting, i really am gonna wait for my P. cam to mature before i buy ANYTHING else, let alone my first OW. Should only be 4 or 5 more months. I can be patient.
I CAN, DANG IT!
You're gonna end up in Addicts Annonymous, biting your fingernails and talking about how you can beat the urge.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
You're gonna end up in Addicts Annonymous, biting your fingernails and talking about how you can beat the urge.
"Hello, my name is Josh, and I'm a tarantuholic. I've got one day back. Its so hard to fight, i get itchy, i black out and come to with the classifieds open on arachnoboards. DARN YOU ARACHNOBOOOOAAAARDS!" *collapses in tears*

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
"Hello, my name is Josh, and I'm a tarantuholic. I've got one day back. Its so hard to fight, i get itchy, i black out and come to with the classifieds open on arachnoboards. DARN YOU ARACHNOBOOOOAAAARDS!" *collapses in tears*
"And not because of the urticating hairs! ...Well, okay maybe sometimes because of those BUT NOT ALWAYS!"