Heteroscodra maculata

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I had one a long time ago. It was cool, not as shy as an S. calceatum

Minty

@londontarantulas
I'm going to get one of these in January or February. Really looking forward to it.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
I'm still a bit intimidated by my sub adult female pictured in my avatar. Neither of the two I have, a male or female are always hidden, but don't expect a lot of display behavior. Calling them arboreal is a bit of a misnomer, they're semi-arboreal burrowers that make large dirty webs. And I'm not overstating this, a fully grown H. mac in dorsal view walking quickly over the glass will startle your guests if it does go for a walk. The females in particular are very impressive. Don't fool yourself though, they are shy, and I have OWs I wouldn't think twice about coaxing into the open, and trying that with a large H.mac is pure madness.

Last edited:

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Just the other day, another member with a very similar experience level thought the same...his H.mac escaped the first day. We dont say this stuff for fun.
I’m sure you were referencing my thread about my dilemma but in my defense I do have a bit more experience then the OP here, I keep C. Marshalli, P. Regalis and C. Vonwirthi so I do have experience with defensive old worlds but it does come to show you, even with that experience you won’t be ready for that kind of speed and unpredictability so I’m sorry @Michael Ortiz but I am so glad you reconsidered getting the H. Mac. based on the Ts you have now take the advice from the others on here and from me especially I don’t want you dealing with what I had to deal with

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Heteroscodra maculata The H Mac.
What is the opinion of the boards on the T? Would it be a good T to start with when breaking into OW T’s? What are the opinions on some keepers that have this species? Pros & Con?? I have the option to get one tonight. I have all I need to care for her, and am not totally ignorant to the type of T she is or the care this one might need. She is about, 4.5 DSL. And I do would be helpful. I have about 2 hours to decide if I will take her.
I may be a student to the world of Tarantulas but old worlds are not a subtle game to play. They are quick to bite and will never respond well to activity in their enclosure. I hear many will bite before you ever have a chance to respond to their threat pose. If you are gonna get into this, make sure you are ready to handle the threat they pose to your personal safety.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
People that asks those kind of questions needs to consider a detail (a detail that basically almost everyone tend to forget).

Here we aren't talking about a 4K TV particular brand, or a PS4, or else... in sum, all stuff where (leaving out for a moment the personal taste/opinion) everyone can more or less agree, at least with the manufacturer characteristics, and give therefore to the person asking a somewhat consistent view.

As stated above, before (and with plenty of good reasons) those are insanely fast, pretty potent venom, very defensive spiders. Still, what people asking those kind of questions forgot, as I've said, is that those are living animals, and not unanimated objects.

And living animals have a obviously specific, personal temperament/behavior, that always change and differ, no matter the same species.

For which reason my female P.murinus is more "calmer" (please note the " ") than my other Ceratogyrus spp.? Have a read here, search old threads etc and you will notice that 99.99%, between an 'OBT' and a C.marshalli, for instance, is the horned one the always suggested to people that decides to jump into 'Baboons' because tends to act 'less defensive'.

But reality always differ, that's why here is always suggested to act damn serious even in regards to pet-rock T's, you never know. Mind, a lot of pretty good breeders/sellers were tagged by lazy pet-rocks because they went too comfy around those. I personally know one, here in northern Italy, that after decades of OW's without issues one day went 'lazy' with a 'grammo' and ended bitten.

This is extremely important.

Anyway, for talking a bit about H.maculata. Well, if someone had a nice experience with arboreals (and I mean the likes of P.cambridgei, P.irminia... not 'poop shooting avics' only) for me there's no issues.

Just for saying, I know that you changed your mind :)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
As others have said, psalmopoeus are a more sensible choice. My P irminia is a pet ghost right now. It is pretty fast as well. Plus they are in my opinion one of the best looking t's in existence. They are cheap and easy to find. They are atleast crazy enough to keep me on my toes. My 2 P cambridgei are alot more laid back but very skiddish. I love psalmopoeus and will get more in the future. Probably my favorite arboreal along with c versicolor.

I havent looked up bite reporta for psalmos but I think it is saife to say it probably isn't a big deal. Atleast, not compared to the hmacs. Psalmos are fast enough to take you by suprise though

Last edited by a moderator:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I havent looked up bite reporta for psalmos
Psalmos could ruin your day, but that's about it. They won't make you fear for your life or put you in the hospital like an H. mac could, but they still shouldn't be taken lightly.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Psalmos could ruin your day, but that's about it. They won't make you fear for your life or put you in the hospital like an H. mac could, but they still shouldn't be taken lightly.
Yeah opening the lid I always make sure I have a plan b and c. My P irminia likes to toy with me

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry67

Arachnopeon
@Minty did you get your h mac? i went for a mystery box and got one inside reading this thread maybe it should go to a more experienced owner