heterometrus spinifer

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
Its been about 12 years i havent had any heterometrus spinifer and forgot alot. I bought 3 heterometrus spinifer looks like i have 1 female and 2 males. My first male was bought from one place and the other 2 from else where now my first male and the female are good together. But if i put the other male with either of the other 2 fight breaks out. So my question is would the fights stop eventually or would it result in cannibalism. I have 3 more femals on the way too. Any info would be great thanks

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
It might be possible that your other male isn't the same species
if you can post pics of all 3 specimens I'm sure someone can positively ID all 3 you have for sure in case my thoughts are correct
Either way pics will always help others come to a better conclusion for you. Hope all goes well with your scorps

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Size of enclosure? Depth of substrate? What type of sub? Temps? Temp guage tools used? Size of specimens? Diet? Feeding schedule? How long have they been housed together? Every bit of information helps guess the unknown.

I agree with the previous poster, pics of the scorps in question for positive id is beneficial.

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
Enclosure is a 20 gallon aquarium, sub in 3 parts coco fiber mixed with 1 part repti earth/sand/coco fiber mix, they have a diy wall i did to crawl on lots of cork bark to hide, moss, some rocks. Temp is room temp. Setup pic 1. As for feeding i usally feed at night for one scorpion 2-3 medium crickets and 1 good size meal worm a week and thats if it eats ut at all. Still working on the feeding part. Should i take each one out and feed separately what do you think?
My first male was in a small container hes been in it 2 weeks as for other 2 i just picked them up at the reptile expo this sunday. What i did first was put my first in an other new container then put the other male in Fight started. New container again first male and female no problem, new container again female and the second male fight again.
Now the aggressor is in a small container. And other 2 are together in 20 gallon no problems they climb hide all over the place.
I do have 2 more females coming tomorrow. Would be nice to have them all together and for that i would have to change enclosure to atleast 50 gallon i think.

Attachments

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
The aggressor ( fighter ) is in bowl and the other 2 male and female. The aggressor and female i got at same time same place and my male was from else where

Attachments

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
If you need ID help, contact @Collin Clary. He's the best with IDing scorpionids. It seems highly likely that you have different species if you got them from different places. Who knows though.

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
A little update i kept putting all of them together in new and clean containers and 3rd time no fighting. Now i have put 3 more females in since. Now 2 males 4 femals and they are all liveing together in a 20 gallon tank with no problems for now

Attachments

KYguy

Arachnopeon
I like that tank setup, looks neat! Wish I knew more on the topic, but I am new myself. But glad things seem to be calming down in the enclosure.

How did you manage to create the back wall?

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
I like that tank setup, looks neat! Wish I knew more on the topic, but I am new myself. But glad things seem to be calming down in the enclosure.

How did you manage to create the back wall?
I had changed the setup to accomidate the 6 scorpions
The last pic i posted ..It was a roll of messh for the gutters i got at my local dollarstore. I stuck it on the out side glass wall . as for the very first pic i posted it was just styrofoam with expanding foam then i used black silicon 1 i smeared it on and put dirt on top of it

Attachments

KYguy

Arachnopeon
Very crafty man, i might have to steal this for futrue use in my tank props

Last edited:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are most likely all Heterometrus petersii, however I would need clear pictures of the carapace to confirm.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
While you are waiting for that picture, care to take a stab at mine, @Collin Clary ? I have two, (three counting the baby I've been raising) this one being the most recent acquisition. I got the other at the same place, that likely has the same source.

m_IMG_6959crop.jpg

Last edited:

Whitetrash

Arachnopeon
They are most likely all Heterometrus petersii, however I would need clear pictures of the carapace to confirm.
Well this morning i found one dead these pics are the best i can do cheap garbage cell phone the two top and bottom to the right are from one place and there were heterometrus spinifer and the other four were from a friend that works at a pet shop i think they might be H. Petersil. as for the dead one i have a 7 day policy with them so ill be picking up another one in a couple days

Attachments

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
H. petersii.
Thanks! It was never a vital importance, but it's still good to know. Plus I can change my listing in my profile from "Heterometrus (something or other)" to the proper designation. :D
I assume these have become the most common offered in the trade, particularly the pet-shop arena...

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well this morning i found one dead these pics are the best i can do cheap garbage cell phone the two top and bottom to the right are from one place and there were heterometrus spinifer and the other four were from a friend that works at a pet shop i think they might be H. Petersil. as for the dead one i have a 7 day policy with them so ill be picking up another one in a couple days
I can make out granulation on the carapace and tergites, so these are definitely H. petersii.

Thanks! It was never a vital importance, but it's still good to know. Plus I can change my listing in my profile from "Heterometrus (something or other)" to the proper designation. :D
I assume these have become the most common offered in the trade, particularly the pet-shop arena...
No problem. Correct, these are the most commonly available at the moment.