Heterometrus spinifer questions

ScorpJunkie

Arachnopeon
I plan on getting 2 specimens soon (sub-adult) to live communally in a 10 gallon tank. My questions are below:

1) Are the females or males larger?

2) I don't want to breed, so would it better to house 2 male or 2 females together? As far as aggression towards each other are concerned.

Please advice,

Erik

ScorpJunkie

Arachnopeon
Anyone? I know that females can be more aggressive towards another female so would having two males be the safter choice?

Y-man

Arachnosquire
Erik,

No idea why no one has chimed in. I unfortunately have zero experience with this scorpion.

Y-man

Arachnosquire
I found this on the net -

Heterometrus spinifer is a communal scorpion, easy to keep and maintain in groups. Males can be more aggressive against other males in one enclosure, but mostly these are little fights and end quick without any scorpion harmed.

Fights usually break out when multiple scorpions in a group want to use the same common shelter. To avoid such problems always make sure that there is one shelter per specimen in group enclosures. I have had up to 6 specimens in one enclosure and never had a real problem with fights. Even while a female was carrying scorplings on her back, the other scorpions never created a problem.

It’s relatively easy to sex these animals. First of all, males are more slender in build and generally a bit smaller than females. If only a single specimen is present, take a look at the pectines and the genital operculum. The pectine tooth count in both sexes is 15-19 teeth. Because the pectine tooth count of males and females overlap in numbers, a pectine count won’t do any good for sexing purposes.

The most accurate method to determine sex is by looking at the genital opperculum; the operculum of the male is oval and that of the female more heart-shaped.

I couldn't find anything about females being aggressive against females. I'm not saying that it is not out there but I couldn't find it.

If you don't want to breed, them it seems to me that 2 females would be ideal.

Hope this helps
Nick

ScorpJunkie

Arachnopeon
Excellent information Nick, thank you! I will take your advise, and as a bonus the females are slightly larger. :worship: