Heterometrus Spinifer Communual Tank Size?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hi I'm new to this forum and it's my 1st time actually posting here on this forum, and I currently have a male heterometrus Spinifer in a 10 gallon planted tank with a cork bark hide and a little burrow it ,made. With temps averaging in about 70 degrees. Though I was wondering if I could fit another adult Herterometrus Spinifer in my 10 gallon tank with 2 hides in it

Last edited:

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I was told the best rule of thumb is 5 gallons or more per scorpion. I think if you set up the enclosure correctly, you may be able to fit a third or fourth in a ten gallon, it's risky though. Since you have a mature male, I would get a mature female. I did that for breeding purposes, but I think it would also reduce the chances of fighting. I'm not sure how often males fight within heterometrus setups, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I did have two males and a female for a short period of time, I didn't witness any fighting so I think it was peaceful. One of the males was injured when I got it so it didn't live long. Personally, I would add another scorpion to the enclosure.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
I was given a 20Gal with 7 of them inside of it and the previous owner had them for over 6 months together and fed them roaches and mice, I thought it was too small so I bought a 40Breeder and moved them all over to it and they slowly killed each other off until they got down to 2 :/

Not exactly the best answer to your question but if you get something to work dont change it

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I've got a single Heterometrus sp. in a 10 gallon glass aquarium tank that I've had almost a year. I've thought about adding a 2nd one a few times but decided against it for multiple reasons. People usually recommend a 10 gallon for each scorpion, and they can get territorial and kill each other. However I've seen pet stores keep multiple of them in a small 2.5 gallon tank and they hid together under a patch of moss, so I guess it can be done.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all your replies!!!
Would a H. Longimanus and H. Spinifer kill each other?

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would a H. Longimanus and H. Spinifer kill each other?
Probably. Or worse, they might mate and produce hybrid offspring. Please do not keep different species together.

Almost nobody has either one of those species in the US though. 99% of what's sold as those species are actually H. petersii.

Regardless, you could easily keep 4-5 in a 10 gallon provided the enclosure is set up properly.