Heterometrus-some question.

Palej

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone.
Just bought my first scorpion - Heterometrus sp.. Now I have some question about taking care of my new lovely creature.
1. Heating-guy who sold me a scorpion advised me to place heating mat on one of the sides of enclosure. Is that's good idea? Personally, I was thinking about heating cable on the bottom.
2. What kind of plants are the best for that kind of climate? I want to put something in there.
And last is about drainage. If I really needed? And if yes, what is the best way to do it.
Thanks in advance
Regards

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do not put a heat pad under the enclosure. In nature their burrows can be quite deep and are cooler than the surface temperature. If you put a heat source under the enclosure, you are providing the exact opposite of the conditions in nature. Heat pads should be placed on the side on the enclosure so that the scorpions can easily thermoregulate by adjusting their proximity to it. Using an infrared heat bulb also works well.

Any type of low light plant should work.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Don't want to criticize, but u should rlly ask before u get the scorpion. I use plastic plants bcs Its hard to care for live, and to keep them alive u have to have unwanted light which might stress the scorpion. I put my heat mat under the tank but only bcs its a very low heat level. I also have a weak, dim day light bulb and black light. Enjoy ur pet and I hope this helped. :)