Heterometrus or pandinus?

TreeTops1015

Arachnopeon
Hello hope you are having a good day,my question is which is more active heterometrus or pandinus?what would be a nice heterometrus to get as there is a lot of heterometrus scorpions out there?and what do you feed them between dubia roaches and crickets?how often do you try to feed them?thanks for all advice

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The behavior for both genera is pretty much identical. H. petersii and P. imperator are the commonly sold species of each at the moment.

I feed the dubias because large adults can have trouble catching crickets. I don't really have a set feeding schedule, but I usually offer food every 1-2 weeks. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will eat every time though.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Emperors if you are considering a pet that is more tolerant of handling as AFS are far more to prone pinch and sting.

Asian Forest Scorpions are terrestrial scorpions that love to hide beneath debris such as leaf litter, fallen logs, stones, etc. They may burrow some but definitely not as extensive as Emperors whom if permitted (provided deep substrate) will burrow quite extensively.

Search for:
Continental Neoichnology Database
The Continental Ichnology Research Laboratory at Ohio University
MENU
SKIP TO CONTENT

P. IMPERATOR TRACES
Pandinus imperator produces three distinct burrow architectures.

Open burrows are used as temporary shelters to permanent dwellings. All burrows have one surface opening and sharp, irregular walls with no evidence of a constructed lining. Burrow elements vary in orientation from horizontal to oblique (0-50 degrees) and rarely vertical (75-90 degrees). The orientation varies along the length of the tunnels whereas chambers tend to be horizontal. The shafts and tunnels are elliptical in cross section with a flattened base, curved walls, and a concave roof. Tunnels and chambers have variable widths and heights along their length and may be straight to curved. Chambers are up to five times wider than high.

Each of the three burrow architectures has numerous variations and modifications. The same architectures are produced when single or multiple individuals inhabit the same burrow. The burrows are often modified by the scorpions over the time of occupation and frequently progress from simple to more complex architectures. Subvertical ramps, for example, may be expanded into helical or branching burrows.

Additional resources are available within the downloadable PDF and Excel files linked at the bottom of the page

In situ burrows

In-Situ 1
In-Situ 2
In-Situ 3

Subvertical ramps

ES4 (3)
ES4 (4)
ES6 (5)
ES6 (14)
ES9 (5)
ES9 (14)
ES11 (7)
ES11 (11)

Helical burrows

ES2 (4)
ES2 (10)
ES3 (3)
ES3 (7)

Branching burrows

ES8 (2)
ES8 (15)
ES8 (23)

Additional resources

Emperor Scorpion Burrow Catalog (PDF)

Emperor Scorpion Burrow Info Packet (PDF)

Emperor Scorpion Burrow Data Spreadsheet(Microsoft Excel – Auto Download)

Powered by Professional Theme

http://www.continentalneoichnology.org/organisms/pandinus-imperator/traces/

Personally I love them both but prefer AFS, they are one of my favorite species of all time.

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Here is more on Emperors:

Search for:
Continental Neoichnology Database
The Continental Ichnology Research Laboratory at Ohio University
MENU
SKIP TO CONTENT

EMPEROR SCORPION
Emperor Scorpion (Pandinus imperator)

For full details see Hembree (2014) in Experimental Approaches to Understanding Fossil Behavior (Topics in Geobiology, Springer)

Specimen
Specimen

Description of Organism

• One of the largest extant species of scorpion, reaching lengths of 20 cm
  • Large, heavy claws (pedipalps) with a granular surface tecture
  • Inhabits soils of forests and savannahs in West Africa
  • Feeds on invertebrates as well as small vertebrates
  • Live individually or in groups of up to 15-20 individuals
Published Descriptions of Organism

Burrowing Technique
Pandinus imperator burrows by direct excavation, using the first two to three pairs of walking legs. These legs are used to excavate and lift sediment particles from the floor and walls of the developing burrow. The excavated sediment is gathered into a loose mass, held with the first two to three pairs of walking legs, and then dragged backward out of the burrow and away from the burrow opening.

Excavation
Vertical Excavation
Sediment Dragging

Burrowing Technique Videos

Video Player
Download File

Video Player
Download File

Video Player
Download File

Burrowing Behavior
Pandinus imperator specimens begin to burrow within 1-24 hours of placement into experimental enclosures. Burrows are often started near or beneath rocks or pieces of wood so that the burrow entrance is partially hidden. Burrow openings have a distinctive triangular shape. Excavated sediment is deposited in a broadly distributed pile located next to and up to 20cm away from the burrow opening. During intervals of burrow expansion, sediment is deposited along the floor of preexisting tunnels, and on very rare occasions, entire tunnels are backfilled as new tunnels are excavated. The burrows are used as temporary shelters to permanent dwellings. Burrow openings are used as prey ambush sites and deeper, more complex burrows are used to trap prey beneath the surface.

Opening under rock
Concealed opening
Paired burrow openings
Triangle opening
Excavated sediment pile
Prey capture at opening

Trace Morphology
Pandinus imperator produces three distinct types of burrows: subvertical ramps, helical burrows, and branching burrows; examples of each are shown below. Each photo is linked to an information page about the specific burrow architecture shown.

Subvertical Ramp

Branching Burrows

Helical Burrows

Click here for the complete photographic archive of all burrows produced by P. imperator.