Here's a cricket you can feed your tarantula's to (yes, you read that right)

cold blood

Staff member
Yep, I read the title and thought...someone's got a raspy bulldog cricket.....theyre baaaaad crickets....these seem to be even more so.

cold blood

Staff member
LOL, now that I know about them, I do want one. Do you know if they're available (and legal) in the US?
I've only seen videos of them...I haven't ever seen or heard of any for sale...doesn't mean they aren't for sale somewhere though.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I was expecting to see something like 'Deinacrida heteracantha'
I've known about wetas for a long time, wish I could get some. I have seen some wetas offered for sale on occasion, but mostly in Europe.
As far as Deinacrida species go, I believe they are mostly vegetarian, while Sia ferox definitely is not.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I've known about wetas for a long time, wish I could get some. I have seen some wetas offered for sale on occasion, but mostly in Europe.
As far as Deinacrida species go, I believe they are mostly vegetarian, while Sia ferox definitely is not.
Yeah this cricket you posted is insane! I would like to own wetas and sia ferox

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Though I know it'll never happen, I'd love to get my hands on Schizodactylus monstrosus. Live or dead specimen. Preferably live because then once it dies I can still pin it lol. Sia ferox is a beauty too.

None of those are legal in the US unfortunately.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'd love to get my hands on Schizodactylus monstrosus
These look awesome too!

None of those are legal in the US unfortunately.
Why am I not surprised? I really getting really sick of finding out I can't have some invert in Ohio because they might escape in Florida or whatever. I really think exotic pet owners need their own lobbyists (I say exotic pet owners because invert owners would not be enough on their own).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Been seeing some cricks 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" long around here of late. Not making me too happy. Ecosystem seems to be doing a reshuffle.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Absolutely love the predatory crickets. There’s quite a few species over here but I think they’re closer to wetas than Sia ferox, Anostosoma australis is probably the biggest and it just looks like a weta with huge jaws

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
:wideyed:Wow that’s a gigantic cricket, I’m most certain my Monocentropus Balfouri or Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens would love to eat it :vamp: They are Monsters All M. Balfouri’s I’ve seen were scavengers and light hunters.. not mine she will not touch anything dead :drunk:. My Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens sling is basically a small
Pig :astonished:.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd love to have one of these. Of course a large tarantula would make a meal out of 1 of these just as easy as they'd make a meal out of a small tarantula.

It'd be so different having a cricket that was a pet.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
A.geniculata would eat this cricket without issues :bored:
I’m most certain my Monocentropus Balfouri or Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens would love to eat it
Of course a large tarantula would make a meal out of 1 of these just as easy as they'd make a meal out of a small tarantula.
Well, I've done a Google search and I think you guys would end up with a lot dead T's. Now let it be said that I DON'T support or watch that Japanese bug fight show, but when I checked Google Image for "Sia ferox killing Tarantula" 2 videos came up and in the description for one a Sia ferox kills a Chilobrachys Andersoni of the same size and in the other a Sia ferox fights a larger King Baboon to what appears to be a draw (I admit I did watch a little of of this one - from the little I saw the Sia ferox was doing the attacking and the KB was defending or trying to run away). Again I want to stress I don't support these videos, and I was really searching for nature photos of Sia ferox killing or eating T's, but unfortunately these videos were the only thing that came up. But they do show what I would think we should all understand - a large, armored, powerful jawed predator insect would be bad news for a soft-bodied spider.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, I've done a Google search and I think you guys would end up with a lot dead T's. Now let it be said that I DON'T support or watch that Japanese bug fight show, but when I checked Google Image for "Sia ferox killing Tarantula" 2 videos came up and in the description for one a Sia ferox kills a Chilobrachys Andersoni of the same size and in the other a Sia ferox fights a larger King Baboon to what appears to be a draw (I admit I did watch a little of of this one - from the little I saw the Sia ferox was doing the attaching and the KB was defending or trying to run away). Again I want to stress I don't support these videos, and I was really searching for nature photos of Sia ferox killing or eating T's, but unfortunately these videos were the only thing that came up. But they do show what I would think we should all understand - a large, armored, powerful jawed predator insect would be bad news for a soft-bodied spider.
I was joking, actually. About A.geniculata trash can-Slimer eating attitude :pompous:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, I've done a Google search and I think you guys would end up with a lot dead T's. Now let it be said that I DON'T support or watch that Japanese bug fight show, but when I checked Google Image for "Sia ferox killing Tarantula" 2 videos came up and in the description for one a Sia ferox kills a Chilobrachys Andersoni of the same size and in the other a Sia ferox fights a larger King Baboon to what appears to be a draw (I admit I did watch a little of of this one - from the little I saw the Sia ferox was doing the attaching and the KB was defending or trying to run away). Again I want to stress I don't support these videos, and I was really searching for nature photos of Sia ferox killing or eating T's, but unfortunately these videos were the only thing that came up. But they do show what I would think we should all understand - a large, armored, powerful jawed predator insect would be bad news for a soft-bodied spider.
Absolutely hate videos like those. I'm the same as you and won't watch them.

Tarantulas aren't made to hunt prey the same size as them in the majority of cases. Yes sometimes you'll see it but they're few and far between. An adult tarantula from a large species Theraphosa for example would make short work of a cricket that size. Just like the cricket apparently made short work of that tarantula in the video.

If I was lucky enough to own one of these magnificent inverts I'd feed crickets, morios and maybe the occasional freshly killed locust.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I was joking, actually. About A.geniculata trash can-Slimer eating attitude
Sorry, didn't catch that one.

If I was lucky enough to own one of these magnificent inverts I'd feed crickets, morios and maybe the occasional freshly killed locust
Let me be clear, I would never think of feeding a T to one of these (if I had one). But I will say the little I saw of the Sia ferox vs KB video convinced me that no T, no matter what the size, would want to mess with one of these. I think Sia ferox would win most of the time.